hi all - Used to participate regularly on these forums during my 3 and a bit years in Tokyo- back in NZ now and theres not a day that goes by where I miss certain aspects about life there! and the main thing being the winters! Been a bit busy recently to keep up with everyones news I'm having a bit of a dilema about my Mrs over there- who is arriving here next Sat. -She seems to have her heart set on starting a new life out here with me- which is great because I'm real into her-We want to start something together in NZ in a few years- Maybe something to do with wine export, ski/golf tourism or possibly a small okonomi or ramen restaurant in Central Otago somewhere (although I can't cook to save my life!)so its lucky her background is the Restaurant business-in Central Otago- dreams are free for the time being-but I'm concerned as I know absolutely nothing about immigration process-and was wondering anyone who comes across this who might- obviously its going to involve getting married for all intents and purposes- and I think you have to show proof of the relationship being longer than one year which should be fine- Anyone with experiences or knows of people that have achieved the residence staus for their partner in Aus or NZ would be really grateful to hear from you- I realise I should go straight to the appropriate Government Department also-which I will do later this week- just hoping for some positive or otherwise first hand experiences- ;\)

thanks and rgds boardbaka

It shouldn't be too hard. The NZ government is actually looking for skilled migrants at the moment, so as long as your partner has a trade or a degree or can at least secure a job there, then she should be able to get a temporary work visa. That'll give you a bit of time to sort out what you want to do in terms of keeping her there permanently, i.e. whether she wants to become a resident in her own right or whether you want to do the marriage thing.

Hi Boardbaka!

Can't help with the question - just wanted to say "hi"!

Would be interested to know how it goes though as me & tarzan will be going back in a few years or so. I know the immigration procedures are different country to country but would be good to hear how Mrs BB deals with settling in NZ, culture shock, language probs and all that.

My Japanese wife and I returned to N.Z to live about 4 years ago. We had been married a for a couple of years before we returned which probably helped and had to provide a certificate of character(from the Japanese police) and a medical certificate. Also provided photos of us together on holidays etc to help prove we were in a stable relationship. Also had to provide the marriage certificates as well. Had to have a meeting with an immigration officer(which was very relaxed) and pay about $700 dollars for her residency visa. Since you arent married yet you may be able to get her a visa which I heard lasts for a year if you get engaged(I think you may be able to get the same visa for yourself in Japan). Otherwise maybe a working holiday visa which she can get pretty easily if shes under 30 and hasnt had one before. Things may have changed since I last looked into getting Visas so it may have changed but I wouldnt really recomend going as far as getting married for one. If your honest with immigration they seem to be pretty helpful. All the best.

cheers everyone - will be sure to let you know- She can't get a working visa unfortunately as over 30 (misoji lol)- krusty thanks esp for your advice- I'll send you private message in the next month or so to let you know how we go with it all-If it starts to turn pear shaped as they say in Sunny England then it could be back to Nihon- cheers again - good to hear from you again Me Jane

- i realised a while back you got your username from a J Magazine

Misoji has nothing to do with marriage.

Christmas cake does, basically "no value past 25". Out of step with reality though since the average in Tokyo now for women is about 30. The Christmas cake thing might still apply in hardcore inaka, some little semi-inbred island, for example. They still marry young.