I went to get my licence renewed today and when the lady at the desk asked me if I wanted to be a donor I said yes. She looked somewhat surprised and told me I was the first of about 30 licences she'd processed that day to say yes to being a donor.

I can't understand why anyone would say no.

Thoughts?

I am, always have been.

I think, if I am dead then why not help someone who has the chance to live have a part of me? At least then still I'll have a part of me living, even if it is in a different body.

agreed. i am too. i can't see why i would want to pollute my organs with preservatives while the fancy suit i am wearing is busy rotting. i'm sure "god" has no problem with me sharing myself so that another person can live on. but it seems others have a problem with that. and i suppose that is there freedom to believe so. mind you i have always been frightened that a pair of wackos will show up at my door one day and demand my organs be donated on site. \:D

speaking of having "a part of me living, even if it is in a different body", cute kid Indo! well done man.

I guess one reason why people wouldn't is that they know that when you show signs of being dead, the vultures come very quickly to pick over the carcass, even if, and especially if, it is still twitching. They can picture what a distressing scene this might present to their loved ones. It might be rather hard to deal with in the circumstances.

Calling these medical people vultures may sound harsh, and no disrespect is intended - but they may seem awfully pushy at your loved ones' time of grief.

I think we might be donors. I have no objection to it.

I am a donor. My driver's license says so. It was never something I questioned although I think Ocean did mention some important points to consider for those pondering the decision.

Religion is an odd cop out to me for not choosing to donate your life saving organs to someone in need. I think you have rather chosen the wrong religion in such case.

Good thoughts guys, thanks.

Daver, yes I guess religion is probably a factor but to me the whole concept of needing to be buried whole in order to enter 'afterlife' defies logic. Also, if there is a god, wouldn't he/she want you to do one last good deed before you cark it?

BillTheBinMan: You can donate organs and/or tissue (corneas, skin, etc).

bobby: Well, I guess that's a risk I'm willing to take!

011: I think it would be harder on my family if I marked my status as 'undecided'. Then they would be faced with making the decision when they are obviously emotional and under a lot of stress. I'd rather make it for them - at least they'd know they were acting in accordance with my wishes.

Also, I think a lot of people are afraid that medical staff won't try as hard to save them if they are marked as a donor. I personally think this is a bit silly. Why would they choose to sacrifice the life of a person right there in front of them in favour of a number on a list?

Quote:
I think you have rather chosen the wrong religion in such case.
lol.gif

I'm not but I am going to look into it. This has kicked me into action again. Cheers.
  • 2 weeks later...

I am not the poster child for the anti-transplantation movement, but there are some very good reasons other than religion not to become a donor.

The biggest problem is equating the state of "brain death" with human death. "Brain death" was in fact an artificial state invented in the 1960s by a doctor at Harvard named Henry Beecher expressly for the purpose of harvesting fresher organs for the (then) new procedure of solid organ transplant.

To put that into perspective. . .

Many PVS patients (patients in a Persistent Vegitative State and still breathing spontaneously, requiring only food and hydration) meet the "brain death" definition employed in organ transplantation.

Why, then, do we have a problem cutting PVS patients open and chopping out their organs and not the latter if they are in the same state of "brain death"?

"Brain dead" patients, if kept on life support, remain warm, continue to mature, can still gestate and give birth to perfectly healthy babies (there have been many cases of brain-dead pregnant mothers later giving birth)

Many Jews also have a problem with the idea of using body parts for commercial purposes. This was perhaps one of the most horrific aspects of the Nazi treatment of Jews (they made fertilizer from ashes, cloth and rope from shaved hair, etc).

Without understanding the shakey science behind brain death, churches publically advocated transplantation, hailing donation as a wonderful act of charity and altruism. Though more and more scientists and doctors are becoming critical of the "brain death" and organ transplantation, none of us can stop thinking of organ transplantation in those terms.

These are just a few of the criticisms against it. It is not my intention to dissuade you from becoming an organ donor, but rather to let you make an informed decision. Doctors aren't exactly forthcoming about the less tasteful details.

I am not a donor and that is driven by my intention to die in such a way that my body (and organ content) is never found, leaving family and friends in a state of endless yearning for closure (by bunging me in some daggy looking box called a coffin and chucking dirt on top of it).

Quote:
Many PVS patients in a Persistent Vegitative State (who are still breathing spontaneously and require only food and hydration) meet the "brain death" definition employed in organ transplantation
I saw them at Ikea last weekend. They were buying a wide screen high definition plasma tv.

I worked for 5 years in cardiology where we had all of WA's the heart transplants come through.

I am a (potential) donor.

After seeing how great a blessing a transplant makes is both the reciever and their family I couldnt withhold that gift.

Bobby12 Ive never seen or heard of an organ going to a paedofile murderer or any other criminal.