heya everyone,

Loving this heat but there`s way too many sleeps before the next snow sesh!!

I hade a room free after my old room mate moved out. Had a mate moving to the area so offered the room and turns out the mate is actually a bit of a dickhead.....

I try to ignore it but its a bit of a bugger if i`ve got friends coming round and they`re not too keen on chatting with him..

anyone else have any similar experiences??

I have not had a proper flat mate for about 7 years for this reason. In recent years I offered one of my spare rooms in Tokyo on a temporary basis and that wasn't very pleasant, I just got constantly insulted in return by a destructive and spiteful person. So after being bitten on both hands I no longer help people out. For the last 2 years I have lived wholly on my own, you may call that bitter, I call it peace of mind and happy living. Solitude is quite enriching once you learn how to manage it.

I've been guilty of being a crappy flatmate. When I first moved out of home my flatmates were constantly bitching me out for making too much noise, leaving my clothes in the washing machine, taking too long in the shower... stuff that I was oblivious to but which really annoyed them.

Strangely enough, the worst flatmate I ever had was also the one of the best flatmates I've ever had. I moved into a unit with this girl that I barely knew (friend of an acquaintance). We clicked and became good friends straight away. Anyway, after living together and being pretty much best mates for about four months, she came home from a party one night, really, really drunk, and ended up confiding in me that she had a huge crush on my boyfriend and that she'd been contemplating making a move on him. Why she told me this I have no idea - naturally I reacted quite badly, and moved out two days later.

whoops - on reread i realise it was missing a few details there....

mm - its probably more to do with the difference in personality I guess. His and my sense of humour are polar opposites, both different values on family and friends, what`s interesting to me - not to him... We`re just very different people... Its not unbearable - just a bit frustrating that ppl used to love coming round for a few beers / dinner and now they`re a bit put off by it all...

anyway - im probably making a mountain out of a molehill....

Nothing as bad as my brother who had a shocker of a flatmate during nne year at uni. One night this bloke came home blotto drunk, took a whiz in their flatmates shoes, fell asleep in her bed... then couldnt rememba a thing the next day.. didnt help that the poor girl was a Vietnamese exchange student who hardly spoke a word of English.....

Room mates are a difficult one. Growing up in your own room at home and then having to live with some geek suddenly going to college can be a traumatic experience.

My flatmate from hell was from Maui. He loved his spear gun that he used to chase white people (he never shot them), he loved his glock 9 that he used to shock others that looked funny at him (didn't shoot them either but did shoot towards them) and he loved using his better than average fighting skills to beat people that walked anywhere close to his marijuana plants growing on the balcony at our on campus dormitory apartment. He was a nut, I infrequently wonder if he's still alive.

Can't really complain Nicole. We weren't exactly the cleanest chaps ourselves.

At Uni we always had to go to the hardware store on Monday morning because we used the front fence for a BBQ on Sat night. The girls we were living with didn't appreciate it too much.

Haven't had a flatmate since being in Japan (except the wife).

Do you think it's better to live in a tiny apartment by yourself (like in Japan) or to share a big house with some friends (like in the UK)? I used to think it was better to share - more sociable, more space, safer - but I don't think I'd like to go back to it. Living alone seemed to be much less stressful.

Married now but living with my husband is totally different from housemates.

Lived with a guy and my best mate in a 4 bedroom apt in Melb.

Best mate used to help himself to food of ours but then turn around and label his own, and go off at us if we dared to touch it.

I hate Farking chepskates. (and he didn't stay my best friend for too long... His nickname is SPONGE)

Quote:
Originally posted by misorano:
Can't really complain Nicole. We weren't exactly the cleanest chaps ourselves.
At Uni we always had to go to the hardware store on Monday morning because we used the front fence for a BBQ on Sat night.
man, you are bringing back memories. It sounds like I lived with you in 1992. At uni I lived in a house of 5, it was a horror show, just wild nasty stuff. One guy inherited a bunch of cash when his mum died so amongst other exorbitant things he bought a huge heated water bed. He was a total bogan but a great guy. In winter, the moment he went to the pub, there was a stamped for his bed. He always complained about the lambswool mattress liner. It was nice and warm and during a long active session the sheets got pushed of the bed and the lambswool couldn't be washed so easily. If we got back from the pub before him then it would likely get another dirty session. He was a big guy with a high pitched voice and whenever he tried to get angry we just imitated his voice.

At the start of the year we had an enormous party. Someone was puking in the toilet so a guy who couldn't wait pissed in our top-loading washing machine. later on that night someone puked in there. The next day we filled the washer with water and soaked the cushion covers that had puke on them. The washing machine stayed filled with a rotting cushion cover, water, piss and puke for the rest of the year (and got used as a toilet a few more times during parties).

The crazy thing was that we all had really nice pretty girlfriends, except the guy with the water bed.

spud

couple more war stories for ya.

One night after a few too many tequlias for some reason we had to get up on the roof. It had 2 seams on it and looked like an upside down W. There were 2 chimneys in the middle V. Going over the top of the first seam I lost my balance and took out the guy wires supporting one of the chimneys, which came down on my mate who was climbing up behind me knocking him clean off the roof.

For a few secs I though I'd killed him, but I heard him laughing as he straddles the chimney.

Next morning we had no idea what drove us to get up on the roof anyway.

Landlord didn't notice that there was one less chimney when we moved out at the end of the year.

Landlord didn't notice a missing chimney! lol.gif

Our landlord paid us a visit after driving past the house and seeing broken windows (and missing wood from the fence, just like yours). The place was particularly trashed as it was the week after one of our famous Saturday slabathons (24 guys, each with a slab of vb cans, 9am start, drink). Anyway, the landlord was walking around inside our house in sheer horror and we were all trying not to laugh, but feeling a bit ashamed. The funniest moment came when he was standing in the water bed room and looked up to the ceiling to see a plastic university chair with steel tube legs implanted into the plaster ceiling. We had a really old house with high ceilings. A few weeks earlier Roger the devil worshipper that studied geology bought a girl home from the pub. He was in an upstairs room and after a session in bed he came downstairs to the water bed room where there was a bunch of us sitting in the warm bed playing space invaders on a really old 1989 computer. His room was directly above the water bed room and he wanted the girl to leave so tried to scare her away by throwing a chair at the ceiling and yelling "F off!". The chair legs stuck in the ceiling and she took off with a whole heap of his stuff, which he deserved for being so nasty. We all thought the chair on the ceiling was quite artistic and so left it there.

As you know, the internet didn't exist back then so as poor students we all entertained ourselves with some horrendous adventures. Some resulting in police investigations and, if they caught us, justifiable criminal charges and expulsion from university. Thank goodness for the statute of limitations. It all seemed like good fun at the time.

He died with falafel in his hand exccellent book full of stories just like spuds and Misorano's in fact I think these two must have lived with tha author John Birmingham at one point!

I have some stories too, "fortified" shampoo, fire trucks, dump trucks, rugby boots on the fridge (to stop them smelling), all eating knifes burnt and unusable......

That's a funny book, apparently it's now a stage production too.

My younger brother has told me a few funny (well, more disturbing than funny I suppose) stories about his sharehouse adventures.

He was sharing with three of his uni friends, one of whom they all picked on a bit just for laughs. They organised a big BBQ for Australia Day and he piked at the last minute and took his girlfriend on a picnic. They all thought this was a bit weak so they dumped a bag of uneaten prawns and prawn shells under his bed.

He came home a day later, couldn't figure out what the smell was so he just packed a bag and went to stay at his gf's place.

The guys thought he'd found the prawns and was so shitty that he was avoiding them. By the end of the week the smell had moved beyond his room and the whole house started to reek. They realised what had happened but none of them were willing to go and clean up the mess, so they just shoved a towel under the door and bought some cans of air freshener.

Long story short, the prawns stayed there for almost two weeks. The guy finally came home and went nuts because all his stuff reeked, his bed, his clothes, everything. The guy's mum told the real estate and they all got evicted and had to pay extra on top of losing all their bond to have the place cleaned and fumigated.

this isnt exactly a flatmate story, but a shocker of a uni story i heard from a mate.

there were two Uni groups in western NSW who had a pretty intense rivalry and would always gate-crash each others party and drop a `sneaky turd` somewhere in the house of whosever party it was.

One ingenious lad thought it`d be a good idea to freeze his `sneaky turd` for the next party they were planning on crashing. Once there, he then took a hammer to it, smashed it into small pieces , then scattered it around the carpet in the house so when it melted - it was allllllll through the place.

Not sure how they got back at them for that one....

That iced poo story is gross. Reading all of this makes me glad I'm not 17 anymore. I would hate to have flatmates now,last ones I had were good, but I'm not sorry that 6 years have past since then.

In my first flat we progressively burnt our way through a large garden shed, much of the garage and various other parts of the property.

In another place we collectively forgot to take out the rubbish for about 2 weeks or more, until the ming got too much in the sunroom where it was bagged up. One day we double bagged it and finally got it out on the street, only to find a nice swarm of maggots on the carpet.