The most ridiculous thing you have been asked...

(by an adult).

Today on the news, there was an interview with this (totally not famous) American guy down in Kyushu. Not sure what it was about, but anyway he is in Kyushu and I'm in here in Tokyo.

This colleague of mine who is lacking a normal sized brain turned round and asked me "Do you know him?"

I didn't quite know what he was getting at at first so asked him why he was asking me. He said "because he's a foreigner too". So this guy thought I would know some American bloke down in Kyushu as he is a foreigner and so am I.

How do you answer something like that?

I have been asked that a number of times. I usually ask them whether they would know a random Japanese person that they might bump into in the middle of New York or some other foreign city. They usually get my point then.

Recently the most ridiculous question I have been asked came from "outside" Japan.....America if you must know. Wasn't sure what to say as first..anyway here it is......

"Does it rain in Tokyo?"

To which I replied it never rains in Japan..and he believed me WTF wakaranai.gif

I have had the "Do you know him/her question?" ..always puzzled me!

When anything happens in the world other than Japan - whether it be England, US, Africa, Tibet - some people look at me as if I am directly involved.

confused.gif

Oh yes and "It's foggy in London, isn't it?" Not really a question, you are being told. Tell them anything different and you just don't get heard. "Yappari, kiri no rondon".

Just yesterday, I bought something costing 499 yen with a 500 yen coin. When the cashier gave me my 1 yen in change, she said "o-tashikame kudasai"

I thought that was one of the stupidest things I have heard in a long time.

that's funny tohoku! lol.gif

How about: In Canada there aren't four seasons like Japan is there.

not a question, but a statement.

I've been asked the 'do you know him' millions of times. Many times it's about a brazilian...that's when I explain that brazilians speak portuguese and I don't

this is an interesting issue. back home when confronted with such stupidity i would usually unleash a furious barrage of sarcasm, irony, and ridicule. but for some reason while here in japan i seem to be much more accepting and tolerant. why do you think that is? is it just cultural sensitivity?

Yeah, it's not like the Japanese have a monopoly on ignorance toward foreigners and dumb questions that we see as completely obvious. I have witnessed Australians asking Japanese friends (in Aus) whether they all wear kimonos and eat sushi and whale for every meal. wakaranai.gif confused.gif

My buddy, who is a safari pilot in Botswana, had one of his rich clients ask him "Is Nairobi the capital of Africa?"

My student, who has a TOEIC score of 900 and Upper Intermediate speaking skills, asked me "Do you like running?" after I told her I'd done a 2 hour trail run in the weekend. I guess it was the nuance of what she was trying to communicate.

When working in Banff one summer i was asked by tourists, "so this bear spray stuff: how does it work? if we use the whole bottle will it last all day long?"

Is he?

lol.gif

I always get frustrated with those questions that aren't questions, as others apparently do as well. It's a question, but they are not open to the answer if is anything other than their current thoughts. I know one baba who just literally ignores your answer and then repeats her initial belief as fact even though you just told her she was wrong.

Ha! You were busted but didn't admit it! lol.gif Very cool move! So guys, which of you got slapped down when asking that question on a lift? And was she all the picture promised? (although I doubt she was in a miniskirt...)

Do you speak English in New Zealand?.... how long does it take to drive (a car) to Australia? (from New Zealand).....

In which part of Russia is New Zealand?

not asked to me but to my old flatmate before I came to Japan who was a high school teacher and coach of the volleyball team, they (Volleyball team) were going from Christchurch to Nelson (very well known large town/small city at the top of the South Island for a High School tournament. One of the players on his team, a NZ born lad of Polynesian descent and none too bright asked him on the bus on the way up

"hey Mr S, is Nelson a country?"

(sounds even more hilarious when said in thick kiwi/polynesian accent)