It depends again what work I am doing. If it is just for navigating I use ProAtlas .

If I need accurate altitude reading also I use  kasmir .

GPS altitude reading is not very accurate +- 100 m error sometimes. The horizontal error is somewhat less than the altitude, so I use the GPS antenna to locate my position on the topo-map and find my altitude from the readings on the map.

True, car-navi is a great invention. Especially, if you are in an area that you are not at all familiar with. The main setback though is that in the past I used to memorise my root. Now navi does it for me so my navigating skill is less accurate than it used to be. \:\(

there's a new bridge next to my house and also some new roads that were built in the last year or so that don't show up in the navi. Toyota is asking 1man8000 yen for the yearly update so forget that! I just turn the thing on after I cross the bridge

You don’t even need to turn it off. Program the root to your destination, and at the parts of the root you are familiar with just ignore it. It can be really annoying though when you hear the lady every corner telling you to turn and make a huge circle. :p

PS. Toyota build in navi sucks…. I also have one and I hate it. thumbsdown.gif

yeah, i just ignore it and then it reroutes itself once I've crossed the bridge, or if I know a shortcut.

It took me 6 months to finally look at the manual to figure out how to turn that voice off!

the most annoying part was the greeting everytime I turned on the car. "Good morning, today is international bagel day"

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
The most annoying thing is not the navi itself, but having the lady next to you arguing about why you are not following what the navi says. :p
I had that problem for a while - but now my wife is beginning to think its not always right.

The other useless feature is the ETA - it is so far off, it would be better if they just left it off. The first time I set it to go to Hakuba on the highway, it said it would take 13 hours. wakaranai.gif

I see....

I have a simple empirical rule that I use to debug that feature. If the 目的地まで clock jumps towards down then I am going smooth.

If it doesn’t decrease while I am driving, this means I am driving to slow....

Step on it!!!!!! \:D