On the earthquake program just now they were talking about if there was a quake when you are in an elevator. They said pushing all the buttons was the best thing to do.

One guy asked if you could get out of the elevator from some exit in the top of the elevator and the expert said (I think) that in Japan it is the law that there is NO exit hole in an elevator. (He said that was just in the movies). Why might that be you think?

If there is an earthquake, the elevator stops just below an exit. It might be handy.

Don't they exist in other countries - totally a movie thing?

Quote:
Originally posted by frannyo:
One guy asked if you could get out of the elevator from some exit in the top of the elevator and the expert said (I think) that in Japan it is the law that there is NO exit hole in an elevator. (He said that was just in the movies). Why might that be you think?
I could be wrong, but I don't think the holes were designed to be escape exits... I think they were actually there so that maintenance workers could access the machinery on top of the elevator. Maybe, depending on the types of lifts that are used nowadays, there's no need for maintenance workers to get on top of the lift, so they stopped putting in the access holes?

I'm someone else who hates encolsed spaces and can't wait to get outside of any elevators. I always need to be one of the last to get on a place as well - can't cope with being on and all these hundreds of people filling it up when I'm sat there and watching.

lol.gif

I saw (on the news, not personally)another elevator misshap in Japan the other day. A guy got his head stuck between the floor and the ceiling of the elevator for 40 minutes when the elevator moved past it's actual stopping point, trapping the poor guy who died later at the hospital.

Quote:
Originally posted by maoriboy:
did you know that there is an elevator company in NZ called...wait for it....Schindlers Lifts \:\)
schindler is actually a major international company,
 Quote:
Schindler Group is the largest supplier of escalators and the second largest manufacturer of elevators worldwide. It offers jobs to around 40'000 employees and has operations spanning all five continents. Schindler designs, installs, services and modernizes transport systems for almost every building type worldwide. Globally, Schindler equipment moves more than 700 million people per day.
their lifts in Japan have been in controversy of late.

The Geography bldg lift at the Uni of Canterbury' has a schindler and the 'f' has been scratched out and replaced with a 's'.
:p