Hi.

I'm a beginner rider, and I have been looking around and hearing all about "powder". So, what's it like then? What have I got to look forward to?

And when the weather gods don't cooperate and there's no powder, what do you enjoy?

Its a light feeling that is unlike anything else. a bottomless feeling that as you get better you can control. At first you go where your boards want to go but you start to understand how to control them. Its just a................ dream type of feeling.

I realized something about powder the other day. You are actually floating when on it, it is not just an expression.

Most snow is 90% air. As a guess, virgin powder has got to be like 92-93% air. When riding it, you never really reach hit hard ground. So yer basically riding on air, with just enough solid there to keep you from sinking. Imagine water skiing, and then imagine water skiing on a surface of 16 parts air, 1 part water - basically a cloud.

This may have seemed obvious to some, but I just kindov got it in this way the other day. . .

Not that I've been riding any powder, mostly metal here in Wisco.

its like " ohh ahhh kimuchi desyo!"

Yesterday I was floating on a powder ledge and dropped back into the wall. Straight away it reminded me of doing the filthiest floater (surfing) but way way more floatier \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by barok:
I realized something about powder the other day. You are actually floating when on it, it is not just an expression.

Most snow is 90% air. As a guess, virgin powder has got to be like 92-93% air.
He's right. Check this out:

I wonder what these stats are for Japan snow? BTW, 2.54cm/in, C=(F-32)*5/9

flying, dreaming, floating, sailing, falling, laughing, screaming, smiling, high-fiving...

such an amazing feeling...makes me feel good all over just thinking about it \:\)

danz

Powder, so what is it like?

Well first of all I have to say that I am in no way powder expert, so why am I writing about it?

Because my first few experiences may help you who have never tried, to get started in a safe and fun way.

And because I have been at the receiving end of this forum since the beginning of this season, and it is about time that I give a little time back.

There are basically 2 things to consider: riding the powder and getting to it!

I remember a similar thread I read last fall about powder. At that time, I had no experience with powder myself. I was wondering about how to get to the stuff, and Ocean 11 wrote just a few words that changed a lot ( he probably didn’t even know that would change so much)

Something like “try the un groomed stuff that lies close to the ropes on the slope, it is not so deep and will give you a feel of what it is like”

I took that advice all the way!

I have read a lot about the dangers of avalanches, I posses no knowledge of the physics behind avalanches, I do not have the skills to ride the trees, and I hate to get in too much trouble with the patrols.

SO, on the opening weekend at Ontake, I wanted to get a taste of the “forbidden fruit” The resort was only partly open, the top 1/3 was closed, and so was the left most slope.

I hiked up to the top in 60 cm snow, for 45 minutes, and more or less tumbled down for 2 minutes, but you can se my so-called “tracks” here http://www.ontake.co.jp/live/live7/Dec1-15/121409.jpg (promise! It is mine) I scratched my brand new board (too little snow) I had a very hard time riding the stuff, but I did it !!! And in a fairly safe way, no danger to my self or others.

The rest of the day I rode the closed left slope, had to duck some tape, but no problem with Ontake-san (patrols) and I soon got confidence, and had tons of fun fun fun

As the weeks went on, I found small little (not too) illegal spots around the resort where I could get my own powder, some places just 10 - 20 meters, other places 100 or 200 meter, but what the hell, it all counts, and I have gotten “that feeling”

You just have to keep your eyes open for the spots, they are all around, and within the boundaries of resort. Example: The middle part of the left slope at Ontake is VERY wide, it is split in two, the left part is a slalom course for skiers only, it is clearly marked and I have no problem with that (being a snowboarder) but if you look carefully you will see that to the left of the slalom course, within the “legal” area, a beautiful un groomed little piece of slope is hidden, for me only .

So last Saturday, we had us some snow eh? And I was SO ready to get on the gondola first. It took some 30 minutes of waiting in front of the gate (I was first in line) then some running from the gate to the gondola, and then jumping on the last departing car (almost getting my bud stuck in the closing doors) but I got it, and I was alone in the car 

I had the top of the hill to my self. Those of you who knows Ontake, also know that the top, right slope is moguls, and therefore un groomed, but with well over 1 meter of new snow, there was no moguls to be seen, just powder, my powder! Mine alone to be ridden, needles to say I had the ride of my life!

30 minutes later the “champion” course opened, same story, first in line, un groomed, powder, fun, smiles! I was able to run there for a couple of hours, until the moguls appeared, first tracks are the best, but you can still get “that feeling” even when it tracked. But stay away from the moguls if you are a boarder

My point: you can get powder, even if you are not Fattwins, whom I respect a lot even without ever meeting him (guy is giving his secret spots away for beer, which I am sure he can afford himself).

I am intermediate rider, but I am having so much fun, and I am learning powder fast, without putting my self in danger, and who knows, one day I maybe “grow up” and be able to play with the good guys and girls.

And now for the 2. thing, what is it like for me?

It is as good as anything, including sex! It is like flying, like snowboarding was meant to be, it is worth driving 6 hours in the middle of Friday night after a hard day at the factory.

The biggest difference from the groomed runs is this:

When riding the groomed slope, you have to keep your balance, left, right, left, right, I guess you can say it is a 2 dimensional thing. When you get into the powder, the board want nosedive, and you suddenly have an extra axis to control, your snowboarding becomes a 3d-thing – now that is a big difference! Your turning is a totally different thing, and it is not easy, but fun!

I also discovered this weekend that my little “secret” spot to the left of the slalom course was no good in deep powder, you need a steep slope, and speed is your friend!

I am usually a little scared of the really steep (groomed) slopes. But I was able to overcome that feeling last Saturday on the “champion”, because of the fact that powder slows you down naturally.

Wauw that took most of my evening… Why am I not writing this in my journal? Because I really don’t have time to keep one, and also because I feel this may (or may not) be useful for you, who want to go and explore powder land. My point is, take small steps, don’t do anything dangerous, just because you have seen some of the fabulous powder pics posted here.

I promise you, you are not ready for the great off piste adventure right away. Remember! If you crash in powder, you most likely have to walk out of it, and if you are in the middle of Mt. Hakkouda you are in big trouble (100’s of Japanese soldiers have died there)

But…

Powder is (also) for pussies like me

ATB

Thunder

Nice piece thunder. Everyone has to learn I dont know of anyone who has jumped into the deep stuff and been a star.

The fastest learner I have met is Oufreeski2. The guy had down in 2 hours on crap skis. Possible good teacher eh boy. That said gotta get you to ride the skis and not bounce as much dude.

My first time in powder sucked I didnt make a turn and ended up stuck for 10 minutes. I learned pretty fast that I was no where near the level I thought I was.

Like anything else it takes practice. Know your limits stay inbounds where you can be helped if in trouble. Get up early on that powder day best way to get in a lot of good practice. Remember that speed is a key, slowing down just stops you.

"Powder, the best drug in the world" \:D My face looks like this little green graemlin here on this board every time I skied some powpow.

My first time was Hanazono 3 last year to the left of the quad. We hiked up around the back of it and came shooting down through that little valley there. *OH*MY*GOD* I thought there was some little stain in my pants just because that was the most impressive 2 minutes I had had in my life lol.gif We ended up doing laps that day at Hana 3 just because that was about all I could handle. But, luckily, that day just me and a few mates were out there, getting tracks after tracks.

Grew up surfing/boarding in Hawaii along with soccer/football and triathlons there. Then, got into rockclimbing/skydiving back on the mainland. I never even skied until I was 24 years old and it was at Geihoku Kokusai. It seems like the worst thing ever - not finding skiing until so late. But, I could have never found it at all. Now, I cant imagine my life without skiing and when I think of where Im going to live in the future it has to be near a place with some great slopes and dry powpow.

So, when people ask "what is powder like" to me. All I can say is it will change your life forever because its changed mine \:D

Well done, thunder. Sometimes we life-long riders forget what riding pow was first like (especially back when skinny skis were the norm...). I remember when it finally clicked, and I would spend the whole day looking for untracked stashes, even if they were days old and the snow was bulletproof...I guess I haven't changed that much. \:D