Electric lines above ground - is the "because of earthquakes" argument sound

So basically people are just believing and repeating "the old story" that everyone has told for ever and ever.

Why does no-one seem to question things like this? Things like that really get me annoyed quick here.

The earthquake argument is false. Having the cables buried in a conduit is far safer and more reliable than flapping around at the top of a 5 metre pole. Plus those tranformers are very heavy too. When the cables do come down you have live wires sparking around on the ground. Very dangerous.

yeah no doubt they do, but structurally there are a lot less forces acting on a pole, which will sway quite a lot (one of they keys to a building not collapsing is it's ability to sway rather than be brittle). I'm only speaking from my own thoughts and observations... anyone want to confirm or blow down my theory?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
nope, they whip about like mad! Trust me I have seen it happen, but they rarely fall. Easier to repair above ground. Easier to find where the problem is. Etc, etc.
Granted, but much more vulnerable too. Not just earthquakes, but lightning strikes, traffic accidents etc. etc.

There doesn't seem to be much debate. Some undergrounding is going on, but I'm really disappointed that with the re-development of my neighbourhood, they've missed the opportunity. The built environment in Japan is mostly horrible, so I guess people just put up with it or don't see it. IMO overhead power lines are the worst aspect of Japanese landscapes.

yeah, a big one is gonna do that regardless. Anyway, I don't think it is any safer, just throwing out the excuses often given. I had thought that a pole and wires would withstand a quake, but as you pointed out, that won't stop them being brought down by other things falling.

Who would want to pay this cost? Goverment or TEPCO or developer or customer? TEPCO(electric company in your area) usually is willing to bury wires if developer has a project like "SWITCH! All-Denka" (only electricity, no gas!) houses there. (I definately need fire for cooking!!)

I think there are few Japanese people who cares about electric wire. Even my friend architectures don't care about it...

Slow. I pay the normal taxes in Japan. I also pay the extra taxes that only apply to foreigners, not Japanese. I would prefer my tax money to be spent burying power lines, improving the safety and beauty of Japan. Not parachuting retired beaurocrats into sinecures.

The re-development of my neighbourhood has had a team of artisans spending months precision fitting granite slabs to make a series of gold plated unobtanium footpaths, all at tax payers expense. Buried power lines and concrete paths would have made a much more attractive area, at less expense.

Quote:
Originally posted by BagOfCrisps:
So what are the arguments they use for them being better above ground?
Maybe things are different in Japan but here people are always jumping up and down about overhead powerlines because they think the low frequency fields cause cancer. I actually remember reading an article a couple of years ago which said underground powerlines are worse in terms of transmitting these frequencies, because they travel more effectively through the ground as opposed to air.

Of course, in terms of storms and earthquakes, underground lines are safer. And they're also more aesthetically pleasing.

I would rather pay for that with my taxes than lots of the other things they blatantly waste tax money on. It sure would make Japanest towns more appealing to look at.

Don't tell ME, soubriquet! ;\)

You should say it to your local government or you can do NPO activity to make your town prettier. Citizen action works sometimes.

A designer in my office had to do outline design and volume calculation on the site located under the highline. She researched the risk of the cancer. WHO guide says there is very low percentage of causing childhood cancer, it is very low but still there is a possibility. She was reluctant to work for this plan and decided to tell the boss we shouldn't deal with this kind of project/site. I think she did the right thing. Nobody wants to live right under the highline.