The FOOTBALL Thread (2006-2007)

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC mentioned a dislocated shoulder maybe. United have a growing list of injuries now with Saha, Ole, Silvestre, Fletcher... hmmm.

I see Arsenal are out (what a shame) and Celtic put up a good fight in their game.

"Manchester United defender Mikael Silvestre is set for a long spell on the sidelines after suffering a suspected dislocated shoulder."

\:\( He may not always be in the first team, but the injury list has grown considerably the last few weeks.

Well we're out of pretty much everything now. Bugger. We can only maybe try and play spoilsports as well as making sure we get 3rd in the Premiership.

If United do struggle from now til the end of the season it will definitely make it more exciting.

Injury list has grown but Giggsy is ok and up for it. Concern that Scholes got that silly red card the other day so he'll be out for 3 games.

Really glad to see Arsenal out, but would prefer Chelsea to be out. Next round perhaps.

That was a good game. Shame Chelsea had to go and spoil it at the end. It was almost inevitable somehow. Tiring them out with a replay is agreeable though.

I see the top clubs are going to cap salaries at just 100,000 a week (ah, poor footie stars - how will they manage?). Not sure if I'm right in saying that Spanish and other big European teams don't pay as much salary as English teams. Anyone know if that is right?

Great match! I saw it online. Really is too bad Chelsea caught up in the end, but it seemed inevitable for the entire second period (though, it would've been nice had that shot off the woodwork gone in instead).

Artificial cap on player salaries will drive the top players away to other leagues, if the revenue flow is there to pay for them (in the future?). How is the inflation in European football? In MLB it's an astounding 10%/year, approximately.

Pro athletes are just like other entertainers, the top ones have an economic impact to so many people around the globe that they are actually worth millions (otherwise billionaire owners of sports clubs would be making an even larger profit). Players and management really need to work together though if they want to maximize revenue.

Been reading around seems that the Premiership is the highest paying league. I don't suppose they'll do something that drains the best players away. Reputation alone won't attract the best in the game these days.

That really was a great game to watch. If only Spurs had kept onto that lead. Whatever, perhaps a home game for them sounds more realistic than at Stamford Bridge. After all if I remember correctly they have already beaten Chelsea there this year.

Just got sent this, from somewhere (?):

A salary cap for Premiership footballers? Don't make me laugh. The day the chairmen of England's top clubs sit round a table and sign a voluntary agreement not to pay any of their players more than a stipulated maximum figure will be the day forwards suffer a mass attack of conscience and stop diving for penalties while defenders voluntarily desist from wrapping their arms around opponents at corner kicks.

What the Premiership is good at, however, is making gestures - and Sunday's story that the chief executives of the leading clubs are thinking of agreeing on a maximum weekly payment of £100,000 belongs in the same category as Lord Stevens' inquiry into bungs. They have been prompted, it was said, by the alleged demands of John Terry and Frank Lampard for revised contracts matching the £130,000 received by Andriy Shevchenko and Michael Ballack and by Cristiano Ronaldo's request for a doubling of his £60,000-a-week wage in return for ignoring the blandishments of his Spanish suitors at the Estadio Bernabéu and Camp Nou.

No doubt Chelsea's Peter Kenyon and Manchester United's David Gill would dearly like to peg their stars' salaries. But they know the impossibility, as long as television revenues continue to rise, of holding market forces at bay. The story is a bit of window dressing, never intended to result in significant action.

The financial excesses and moral limitations of football can drive its more sentient adherents to distraction but then you get something like the two exhilarating 3-3 draws that illuminated the weekend and the temptation is to think, who cares? In a way it would be nice to be able to report that the more bloated football's ego and bank balance become, the worse the product. But you would have to say that, in general, it just isn't so.

Guardian that was.

Love the way their wages go up in 10's OF THOUSANDS PER WEEK! lol.gif If only my wages went up in 10's of thousands per year!!!

It's very daft, but if that is what the market is willing to pay they are just some extremely lucky guys.

Jose:

'Until further notice I will not be available to the press except for TV and radio commitments around our matches'

You reckon he will be around by July, 2pints?

Becks took to the field at half time in the Utd vs Best Of Europe game (which United won) and made a classy speech. Good lad. I remember I liked him now.

------

Beckham made a surprise half-time appearance at the UEFA celebration game at Old Trafford, the first time he had stood in front of a United crowd for almost four years.

Injury robbed Beckham of the chance to turn out against his old club for Marcello Lippi's Europe XI and he admitted he was "devastated" to miss out on what could be his last chance to play at the ground.

But he was grateful to be given an opportunity to address his fellow United fans, saying: "It's amazing to be back, having waited four years for this and it's nice to be back on such a historic night.

"This is the first time I've been back when it's been full of Manchester United fans."

Beckham also ended any doubt he had buried the hatchet with mentor and United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, who once accidentally hit Beckham with a boot he had kicked whilst in a rage.

"Everybody here knows you've got the best manager in the world at this club," said Beckham, who will join MLS side LA Galaxy when his Real Madrid contract expires in the summer.

"I just want to say that the time I spent at this club is the best time of my football career.

"I've waited four years to actually come back and say thank you to the fans and the people at this club."

Beckham then made specific reference to the support he received in the wake of his dismissal in the 1998 World Cup, when he was castigated in almost every other quarter.

"I wouldn't have got through that many things without the people in this stadium," he said. "Good luck for the rest of the season and good luck for the future.

"This team's going to go on and win many things for many years to come."

Man City are looking pretty woeful these days aren't they? What happened there then. They were always the less glamorous of the Mancs and all, but still...

6 points now with a United visit to SB. Not looking so decided now is it... ;\)

Man City have always been drab haven't they? ;\)

Not decided at all, 2pints. It should be an exciting finish to the season. Hopefully not too exciting ;\)

Manchester City are to Manchester what Everton are to Liverpool. ;\)

I see the Magpies have "crashed out" of Europe, eh, Mr Wiggles. Whats the thought on them this season? Stuck in mid-table again I see... when will Mickey Owen be back? I've even heard some rumours from back home that he might be coming back to Liverpool......