The FOOTBALL Thread (2006-2007)

That Chelsea game was amazing. Three goals from outside the box! Drogba must be in pole position for player of the year. As a gripe, it would be nice to see Chelsea link a few passes and score a simple goal from open play once in a while. Its either set piece, route 1, or wonder goal from distance. They rarely pass it in like the Arse. Its a team game after all.

I'm in favour of the ball, and modern boots with the big sweet spot. Goalies are getting bigger and better all the time. Making it easier for strikers keeps the goals coming.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the long range goal has lost its beauty, as these days it feels like 1/4 goals are 'middle shoot-o'.

But its nice to see a few goals, Im not saying I want it to be like the 70s where they are running around in canvas kits in 7inch mud, 0-0 and 1-0 every game. I just don't like the unnatural swerve these balls have.

Exellent game to watch, though a bit of a worry at times.

Drogba can produce some amazing football. I don't actually like him, but admit he is a good player.

Jurys out on the ball. I like it when Chelsea belt one in, but not when our opponents do ;\) Is it actually changed for this season or the same as last?

I remember David Rocastle for Arsenal chesting one down and volleying in from 40 years with a sort of weighted shot that lobbed the keeper. And Eric Cantona bending in a long ranger before doing his 'emporer' celebration (hands on hips, slow turn to the crowd).

These days the long range goals you see are more like blasters that swerve all over in the air. Drogbas winner was exactly like that, he volleyed it an after a few meters it swung dramatically to the right - it wasnt cos he put spin in the ball, it just seemed to swerve by itself.

It reminds me of when I was a kid playing football in school. Sometimes we didnt have a decent ball and had to use a cheap 'fly-away' plastic one. You would kick and it would fly all over the place cos it was so light. To me the new balls are like that, obviously not as bad as that cos they are much heavier, but its a difference of degree not type.

I liked it in the good old days when the ball was more predictable in the air - when it went in from long range you knew it was down to skill not chance.

And crisps were only 12p a pack.

12p a pack. Yes I think I remember that lol.gif

Fair points bobby.

I was watching a really old archive game the other day. In the days of Kevin Keegan and before. It's only when you watch things like that you realise how much things have changed. And not just the haircuts lol.gif

I distinctly remember when I lived opposite Highbury stadium, one day I went to the corner shop to buy some monster munch. Up to then they had always been 10p, but suddenly they were 12p. For me that kind of symbolises the end of my childhood (...ok, maybe not :p )

Ive got some old footie DVDs coming for xmas so I can educate the missus. She has taken a really keen interest in football, she knows more about todays players than I do. But ask her who Kenny Dagliesh or even Graham Souness is and you get a puzzled look. Same with my brother, suddenly he is a huge Arsenal fan, but last xmas my uncle was saying how he has met David Platt several times and my bro didnt know who he was! Some arsenal fan...

I bet they were Pickled Onion flavoured Monster Munch. They were great. (I'll have to pick some up and relive that Monster Munch kick).

People need to study footie and pass a basic test before they can get tickets to enter the stadium I reckon. Then the real fans will be able to actually get in.

I bet some 'Arsenal fans' don't even know where Highbury is!

Where is it? (actually!) Are they knocking it down and selling off the bricks?

I'm interested to see what they do with Anfield. Some talk of some posh shopping complex or something.... can't see it myself doesn't quite, er, fit in!

highbury is in islington, sort of between stoke newington and holloway.

they supposed to be redeveloping the whole anfieldregion. god knows it needs it, all those empty houses with squatters and druggies in them right outside the beloved anfield stadium. i heard lots of those houses are bought out by these scavanger house trader types, waiting to sell the land on when anfield gets done up.

Good lineup for the new year period:

12/23 (土) 23:55 アーセナルvsブラックバーン 307

12/23 (土) 23:55 リバプールvsワトフォード 185

12/23 (土) 23:55 アストンビラvsマンチェスターU 186

12/23 (土) 26:10 ウィガンvsチェルシー 186

12/26 (火) 21:00 プレミアリーグ ハイライト#17-A 181

12/26 (火) 21:55 チェルシーvsレディング 184

12/26 (火) 23:55 ブラックバーンvsリバプール 185

12/26 (火) 23:55 マンチェスターUvsウィガン 307

12/26 (火) 26:25 ワトフォードvsアーセナル 186

12/30 (土) 23:55 トッテナムvsリバプール 184

12/30 (土) 23:55 マンチェスターUvsレディング 182

12/30 (土) 23:55 チェルシーvsフルアム 307

12/30 (土) 26:10 シェフィールドUvsアーセナル 181

I wonder if that will shake things up a bit more at the top.

Absolute classic Scholes goal last night. That was skill, not the ball being kind!

I wish the pie eaters had held out at the end there though.

A compilation of The Ginger Prince best goals would be a good one to watch.

He is a great player. And a decent bloke it seems as well.

I liked the commentator that said after the goal he wouldn't be too pleased because he'll have to do some interviews after the game. lol.gif

Drogba must be in pole position for player of the year.

C Ronaldo must be up there too. He is playing so good right now. He came on beginning of the 2nd half last night and scored two in less than 5 minutes.

clap.gif

And Chelsea could only get a draw.

clap.gif clap.gif