The FOOTBALL Thread (2006-2007)

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another nothing season for the toon. They pulled defeat from the jaws of victory (three up in the first leg), though it did sound like they were well beaten in the end.

Dunno about whats happening with Michael Owen, but that Martins is a good un. Seeing what happens when those two play together is all toon fans have to look forward to now. Owen is supposed to be on megabucks at the toon, so he won't walk away so easily.

We had another masterclass from ManYoo yesterday, but full marks to Chelsea for chasing them. I hope its still this way at that game between them. It could be quite exciting. If you didn't see it, check out that goal by Tainio for the Spuds last week. Its got a wicked flick back by Aaron Lennon. Top drawer stuff.

With Arsenal losing, we could really have done with taking 3 points but oh no - just play a defensive crappy 0-0 game. mad.gif

I wonder how it feels to be earning megabucks and just not playing for nearly a year. I wonder what it would be like playing a game you love as well, but doing not much.... confused.gif

Well the rumours are there. Probably just that. I reckon if it happened he would soon be welcomed back, especially if he was still decent. (Will he be? big question)

He wont be what he was, thats for sure. How old is he now? I cant see us needing him to be honest, I'm happy with Crouch (who should get more games, we were on fire when he was playing regularly) and the like.

By the way I blame villa for the 0-0, they played like they were at Highbury or something. 11 men behind the ball most of the game.

Looks like there is a decent chance of a Man Utd vs Chelsea FA Cup final. Now that would be fun.

Quote from todays Guardian, about Middlesborough defenders:

Quote:
They stuck to Ronaldo like molluscs.
lol.gif

Well that final would frankly be more interesting than the other two teams getting there!

Just noticed this Premiership clubs to adopt goalline technology for 2008-09

Nial Briggs

Sunday March 18, 2007

The Observer

The Premier League plans to use its innovative goalline technology to settle disputes over whether balls have crossed the line from the 2008-09 season.

England's top 20 clubs are expected to have their system of goalline sensors, a version of the HawkEye technology already used in tennis and cricket, in place by then at a cost per club of £50,000 a season for five years.

Mike Foster, the Premier League secretary, said clubs and the FA were keen to press ahead with what would be a significant first in world football. The International Football Association Board recently approved its introduction.

Although the technology is currently being used at Fulham's Craven Cottage in private trials, Reading are likely to be the Premiership club selected to run a season-long experiment with the sensors at reserve games next season at the Madejski Stadium.

Not a moment too soon either.

Ronaldo really is shining this year, the guy seems to like the controversy. It did look like a penalty though.

I think Rooney was very lucky not to get sent off there which would have been totally mindless. I can see how he was upset though with that Middlesboring player seemingly going in to break Ronaldos legs. He should get an extended ban for that.

The final looks like it will be fun. That means of course that the Cheslea United Premiership game will be postponed. Lets hope United haven't clinched it before then! \:\)

Just look at the sorry state of the England forwards

Johnson (Everton)

Rooney (Man Utd)

Defoe (Tottenham)

Bent (Charlton)

Hardly inspiring is it, apart from the Rooney bit.

Quote:
Boro captain George Boateng said: "A lot of players want to do what Morrison did. Why didn’t Ronaldo do his tricks when it was 0-0 and people were fighting to get a goal? It annoys people."

As the debate over Ronaldo’s alleged diving was rekindled by United’s disputed penalty winner, Boateng added: "People have pride. No one likes to have the mickey taken out of them and if you’re going to do that, one day someone will hurt him properly and he’ll be out for a long time.

"We know he can do his tricks, but don’t do it when you’re winning 1-0 and there’s only two minutes to go.
What a fool! What he means is that it annoys players to be outplayed by someone with much more talent. As Ronaldo said himself, he is just too good. lol.gif

Hey scouse fans, my fave band The Mission have a new album out soon. Mr Hussey is a huge Liverpool fan and has written a track on it called "Draped in Red" to commemorate the 2005 Champions League victory - twas played at half time at Anfield a few weeks back.

Can listen to it here:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=411327&cc=5739

Two five zero five zero five

Tonight it feels so good to be alive

Oh boy have you heard the news?

Together we've blown away the blues

And through the empty fallow years

we kept singing and kept the faith

And through it all the hurt and tears

We kept singing, kept singing, we kept the faith

We'll never walk alone, we'll never say die

Together we will stand, we're an army

Ascending to the throne, hold our heads up high

The world in our hands, we're an army

Draped in red

Again we've written our name into history

Against all odds and in the face of adversity

And from our darkest hour we emerge victorious

'Cos we kept singing and kept the faith

Buried and dead we rise again proud and glorious

'Cos we kept singing, kept singing we kept the faith

How could I leave after a night, after a night

a night like this?

I've never known such sheer delight, I've never known such blinding bliss

Draped in red

Looks like it is only repeat on Sunday night on Fuji channel 739

EURO2008 予選グループE イスラエル vs イングランド

3/25(日)23:50~26:10

What a strange time to put it on, seeing as though they repeat the game that they are showing live tonight during the daytime tomorrow.

Oh well never mind, I'm sure it will be a frustrating game to watch!

SPOILER ALERT:

It was not good. At all.

In fact, utter bollocks as we have come to expect from England.

Looks like they were pretty dire again. It will serve them right if they didn't qualify. England games just get in the way most of the time. At least there don't seem to be any injuries from the weekend.

As the silly people who went to the match said, What a load of rubbish.

"The first cracks in Steve McClaren’s reign as England coach appeared as it emerged that he had a major dressing-room row with Wayne Rooney after the 0-0 draw in Israel. Sportsmail can reveal that a furious McClaren told Rooney he was under-performing and claimed the striker has failed to deliver since Euro 2004."

I agree. I'm just getting really bored and tired of "everything England". Sounds like a bust up between Rooney and McLaren now, with Terry V not seeing eye to eye either. If it weren't so predictable it might be interesting.