Hello photo gurus. I want to chop the bottom half out of a photo and then have the picture show only what remains. All I want is to totally remove the bottom half of an 800x600, leaving me with a new photo of just the top half that is 800x300. I have tried several ways but get bad results.

1. I tried selecting the bottom third and deleting it. It just leaves a picture file that is still 800x600, with the bottom half white, or sometime black.

2. I tried cropping and that certainly removed the bottom half but increased the remaining half to 800x600, thus reducing the quality of the image and making it bigger than I want.

3. I tried method 1 and then changed the size to 800x300. I got a 800x300 picture that was half white.

How do I do this using free software?

Infranview and the paint program that is in the accessories folder.

I made a mistake in the above post. The last line should read "How do I do this using free software?"

Never used Infranview but I wouldn't bother with the paint program - using MS Paint to edit photos is like trying to cut a steak using a spoon.

Try downloading this: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/

I haven't used it myself but if it's anything like Photoshop you can't go wrong.

Otherwise, if you have XP, there's a program called Microsoft Office Picture Manager that allows you to edit photos fairly easily. I think you should be able to crop the image to the size you want and keep it at 300dpi (presuming that's the quality you're after).

Thanks guys, will look into all these ideas. Mr W - I have heard good things about Picasa.

I use XP, but only have Office 2000 installed, so I guess there is no editor included.

In IrfanView, have you tried selecting the part you want to keep and simply hitting Control + Y and then Save As?

When I do that on my computer, the resolution of the remainder stays the same.

If you crop too much, Ctrl Z replaces the original.

Didn't try that, but I am now onto Picasa, and it is pretty good. I think it even publishes photo albums, which may replace the frustrating album maker I am using

unless I am mistaken, it seems that Picasa cant edit a picture's size. eg, turn a 800x600 into 400x300. The only way to do that is when you export images for emailing. Picasa is good for everything else, but I still need to use to Infanview for the absolute basics. eek.gif

Here is what I do on infranview

Not the best program but it works and is easy

Select what you want copied

Press copy

Press Image tab

Select Create New (empty) Image

Press OK

Press Paste

And there you go

Save as a new file