ger, no I can't either! Ishihara, Bush I'm perplexed as to why/how either received public support.

If you insist on dismissing Ishihara as not mainstream how can you also acknowledge that he's the mayor of the nation's capital? Almost by definition he IS mainstream.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an enigma. Toronto, which is the biggest city in Canada, has had some really whacky mayors too. The previous mayor, Mel Lastman, used to say really crazy though usually benign things... Toronto is one of the most multicultural cities in the world but on his way to Africa for an aids conference he said something like: "I hope I don't get boiled in a pot."

It really does baffle me as to how Ishihara got into power. My wife says that Japanese people like celebrities who are connected and can get things done. He was a famous writer from a famous family. I think a lot of Japanese people find him refreshing among politicians because he actually says what he means in language that is easy to understand and he's not afraid to be not PC. I think he's surpassed "asshole" and become more of a comic figure. Others might say that he's surpassed comic status and gone back into the "asshole" category.