• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know nothing of the situation but maybe that particular koban was on a bit of a mission that day/week and so different cops were just acting on the same instructions to "pester" gaijin in the area. That could explain it cal.

Quote:
Originally posted by peterson:
Well I have never experienced anything even remotely like that - the opposite in fact.

Some of you guys are either living in a place that is so totally different to where I am or you friends look/behave very dodgy.

\:\)
you have never met me nor my friends and youre gonna assume we are dodgy? Obviously we are both between Kobe and Osaka... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

yup, i happen to be the sketchiest person on this forum - why did you have to let the cat outta the bag?

>I don't believe all the anti-gaijin paranoia that appears from time to time

I wouldnt call it paranoia but theres an element of truth to it.

>I sure haven't experienced anything like that.

great. it doesnt happen daily, but it doest happen.

"Or maybe your friends looked / behaved very dodgy."

last time i checked looking one way or an other nor behaving a certain way (be it within the confines of the law) were not offences in this country. hence the numerous fashion crimes commited here on a daily basis.

Peterson, so do believe you are an equal in this country? I don't know if I've ever encountered such a naive opinion. You know what they say about ignorance? Hell, the mayor of Tokyo is a bit of a self proclaimed racist. He doesn't whisper in small circles, he announces it to the press. I don't know Peterson, maybe you live in the forest with the animals and insects and haven't encountered any humans yet in Japan. We all search for bliss, don't we? Enjoy yours mate!

Quote:
so do believe you are an equal in this country?
I sure don't think Japan and the authorities are "out to get me".

You carry on being paranoid, complaining & being miserable - I'll continue enjoying my time here... that sounds fine to me!

I enjoy my time here Peterson, and have been here much longer than you. I'm not miserable at all but reality hasn't escaped me as it has you. Good luck with that. The authorities aren't out to get anyone in my opinion. Part of the beauty and tragity of Japan is that they don't mess with much at all. However, good luck with that judgment as well. ;\)

B/c I've figured out how things work. You haven't. It was a no brainer.

Sorry for the off subject conversations foiks, but Peterson, could I venture a guess? Single, white male, 21-22, English teacher, japan is your first overseas experience?

I'm just kidding Peterson. I'm one of the dodgy ones that you speak of. You got it all figured out. ;\)

Not that it is any of your business, but:

Single: no

White male: yes

21-22: no

English teacher: no

Japan is your first overseas experience?: no

It's obviously you who thinks he has it all figured out.

Enough on this though. Cheers.

"Hell, the mayor of Tokyo is a bit of a self proclaimed racist. He doesn't whisper in small circles, he announces it to the press."

Bad example Kintaro. There are definitely conservative veins in Japanese politics but Ishihara is extreme. I don't think he's representative of politicians in general. Everything that I have ever heard him say is completely idiotic! It baffles me however, as to how he can have a successful career in politics.

Incidentally, I've been in Japan for a while and done my fair share of carousing. Just to put things in perspective, I have been stopped by the cops at night for no reason at all one time in ten years. The cops that I've dealt with regarding traffic infractions when I was riding a scooter were usually cool. Except for the motorcycle cops.

Bad example? He's the people's elected representative of one of the largest cities on the planet, not to mention the capital of this Nation! As to how he can successfully have a carreer in politics is exactly what you should be pondering.

But OK, I have other examples. The past 5 (at least) prime ministers have insisted on visiting the shrine to honor the crimals of war. I firmly believe it's an act to tell the neighbors that we are still stronger than you and don't really care what you think about it. You know, Koizumi could easily visit Yasukuni in the dark of the night without the press, but he makes a point of it by going at prime time with nothing less than a tuxedo on. Why would that be? A simple expression of autonomy?

No doubt that there're a lot of conservative polititians but check your facts. I think the last PM to visit Yasukuni before Koizumi was Hashimoto in 1996. That's what wikipedia says anyway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasukuni

Actually, I really don't like Koizumi though. Ishihara and ex-PM Mori seem to be complete idiots. I can expect nothing but BS from them. If I read something stupid in the newspaper with their names attached to it I think "Oh well that explains it! It's just Ishihara". I guess I expect a little more of Koizumi. To be certain, he's far more sensible than either of those two extreme examples but the yasukuni thing is pretty disappointing. Antagonization of China seems to fit in with his alignment of the U.S. Anyway, I have to work right now. I just think that Ishihara is an extreme case and not representative of mainstream. Nonetheless, he won 2 elections. I think I'll start a new topic on Ishihara because it is indeed baffling. Maybe you can understand how he won but I can't. Same with Bush.