1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I use my PC mostly for browsing the internet and doing presentations with PowerPoint.

For internet shopping, things that need higher security and also for my work I use only UNIX machines.

You should better add an option in the Poll for us UNIX users. thumbsup.gif

pc all the way!

I've grown up on pc's so I can't get used to the Mac interface. The boxes & peripherals are better designed. However, there are waaayyyy more software choices for pc than for mac

I have 11 Macs and one PC as a necessary evil for testing and troubleshooting (I have to support a large PC network). The single PC requires more maintenance and attention than all of the Macs combined.

Quote:
Originally posted by akibun:
I never used a mac. Is it really very different?
Well no, and yes. A Mac running OS X (a UNIX-based OS) will do just about anything a PC will do and vice versa but you don't have constant worries about downtime and data loss due to crashes or security, viruses, spyware, adware etc. - because Macs don't suffer from these problems. I have Macs that have run for years without ever having to reformat them.

Mac software is also developed to be consistent so that if you use one application, you can basically use any application - menu order and functionality is well organized. I have greatly reduced staff training time and computer and network maintenance costs by switching to Macs.

Some people say more software is available for PCs - and this is true, but I have always been able to find a Mac equivalent for PC applications except for games - and that's just fine when you use machines for work! There are plenty of games available but not as many as there are for the PC.

New Intel Macs also run Windows XP- but if you run XP on a Mac you also have to worry about all the security issues that go with it...no thanks.

For the majority of computer uses, a Mac will do everything you need out of the box - its all built-in.
 Quote:
Originally posted by fjef:
I have 11 Macs and one PC as a necessary evil for testing and troubleshooting (I have to support a large PC network). The single PC requires more maintenance and attention than all of the Macs combined.
sweet, Id like a G4 preeaazzee! ;\)

Have heard such good things bout Macs but I have never used one either, other than playin with one for a few mins at a mates place.

Bushy, you gonna get a new Mac then?
 Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
[QB] sweet, Id like a G4 preeaazzee! ;\)
You are soooooo 2004, CB - G5's are already old and the new Intel Macs are blowing them away - and the new Macbook is an awesome deal at 135,000 yen.

I attacked my last pc with orange juice oooops... and without ever really properly checking out how to use a mac i decided to give it a go... i bought one in japan which is cool for ohh so easily typing japanese lol and also was 2man cheaper than they cost in the uk... and so hassle free in the sense that as soon as you switch it on, you choose the language of the entire operating system.

i had never really used one before at all - and it took me at most a day or 2 to get the hang of it. i would 100% say i'd never go back - the design of menus etc is so smooth and clever, the functions and shortcuts it can perform are great, and it never pops up warning messages you don't understand saying there is some dastardly problem, using computer lingo you don't even understand - it just doesn't do that.

bushy ya gotta get one! you'll love it!! thumbsup.gif