>How can anyone not love the game is beyond me.

ummm, because many "pro" football athletes are a bunch of tossers and fall down like a bunch of babies at the drop of a hat confused.gif

Not saying I dont like it, but would love them to fight it out rather than fall down like the actors they are...

I gotta say one of my fav sports to watch is aussie footie and I got Bushy and Taz to thank for that. What a wicked sport THAT is. And just to bash other sports American football, baseball, and basketball all bore the shite outta me thumbsdown.gif

sorry for sidetracking... Those were some wicked shots!! \:\)

Quote:
fall down like the actors they are
A bit of a wide generalisation there don't you think. All football fans don't like diving and falling over antics either.

maybe scouser - but in a vast majority of games that I see there are just as many actors as there are fans watching the game. Youd of think many of them had a broken ankle or leg the way they roll around in pain :rolleyes:

...then get up and take the free kick :rolleyes:

Though, I should know bettah than to pick on football when speaking with an Englishman ;\)

Back on topic - look forward to seeing some cracking goals from japan vs australia!!

3-2 Japan!! clap.gif

The smashing goals are great no doubt, its the 80% of the game of just back and foward passing that bores me.

I got a great video torrent last week of the best world cup goals ever. One and a half hours of just goals, that was excellent.

Quote:
Originally posted by snowglider:
The smashing goals are great no doubt, its the 80% of the game of just back and foward passing that bores me.
I got a great video torrent last week of the best world cup goals ever. One and a half hours of just goals, that was excellent.
I feel the same bout basketball, Am football, and baseball. I enjoy watching the highlights but could skip without watching the entire game
thumbsdown.gif

Hey now! US football is perhaps the greatest game on earth.

The theme song on that clip is on the Matrix sountrack, by a Japanese DJ whose name I can't remember. But the video was too jumpy to comment on those goals.

I am a recovering american, and starting to understand why people love soccer so much, expecially with some of the other best goals footage I have been seeing recently.

...and then run into each other at full speed sending their opponents ten feet into the air somersaulting three and a half times.

I know, I know, that hardly compares to "Oh, I'm going to fall down whenever an opponent tries to steal the ball from me and pretend to be hurt so that he gets a penalty."

It sounds like you have been listening intently to the "anti-footie" brigade and not actually watching the football.

I hope you will find in this World Cup that any divers will be penalised.

On the subject of cracking goals, some pretty decent ones last night \:\)

Well I watched the "footy" on saturday night and thought it was thoroughly boring for the most part.

Based on the highlights which were quite exciting, I picked the crappest game to watch on the weekend, not that I picked it it was the default game of my mates.

England will not win the WC unless they make rapid improvements.

rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:

but in a vast majority of games that I see there are just as many actors as there are fans watching the game. Youd of think many of them had a broken ankle or leg the way they roll around in pain

well there was plenty of that carry on going on from both sides in the Eng-Para game, slight brush to the face and then a sudden collapse and hold hands to face, little tackle and then rolling around on the deck. The players a such pussies at times - get hard dammit!

Its the worst thing about the game - the theatrics, the game could be so much better.

You know, it's easy to watch a game then just bring on the critics - whether it be of the team(s) or the game itself. You need to look at a wider picture. But for now, have your fun........

Does anyone remember when the US got the World Cup and suggested a whole load of measures to make soccer more interesting and marketable? Some of them were along the lines of making the goals bigger and abolishing off sides to make it easier to score, therefore more goal action. Football community were up in arms about people fiddling with their "beautiful" game but I thought it was a great idea. Don`t know if they ever tried it.

There's obviously going to be no converting of you doubters.

Talking of "boring sports", what about baseball? Surely that easily takes the grand prize. A non fan looking at a game of baseball thinks - just what the heck is going on (even when things are going on, which doesn't seem to be often). But anyway, I accept that lots of people love baseball.... that's great. There must be something there that I am missing. Just like some of the footie haters on here are also missing something........

My gran used to say "you like what you like". Not sure what she meant most of the time but... lol.gif

Quote:
Some of them were along the lines of making the goals bigger and abolishing off sides to make it easier to score, therefore more goal action.
That just goes to show how little you/they know about the game. Ridiculous ideas one and all. It's just people talking on completely different levels.