Is it just the people I have known well or are lots of Japanese ladies bordering on the obsessive with cleanliness and cleaning? My lady friend seems to wash her hands on average every 10 minutes. Maybe a bit less, but you know what I mean. And there's the daily wiping of things, etc.

Funny though, I generally find the Japanese homes that I have been into to be less than amazingly clean....

I don't know. Japanese homes seem to be more cluttered in general than Western ones so they never seem to look really clean. Also there is rarely any soap in the toilets and even when there is most women don't seem to use it.

Food Hygine & hospital infection control are way behind the West too.

Historically though, the Japanese are much cleaner with their daily bathing customs, no shoes in the house etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by me jane:
Also there is rarely any soap in the toilets and even when there is most women don't seem to use it.
:( and here I thought women were cleaner than men!

I wash my hands and clean much more than I used to before I came here - I think this is a mix of the influence of a certain lady friend and just because I was still in "student mode" when I came here (even though I hadn't been a student for a while)

Quote:
Originally posted by me jane:
the Japanese are much cleaner with no shoes in the house etc.
after living in Japan and becoming accustomed to the shoes off I now find it disgusting when I go back home to have shoes on is the house.
Its now so obvious and sensible to always remove your shoes, it seems bizarre not to.
Its one practice I will continue when I go back home and all visitors in my house will abide too.
No shoes ( and no smorking either
wink1.gif )

If it wasn't bad enough to deal with that everyday "industrial" dust, there's also that yellow/tan summertime dust from the Gobi desert... at least up North anyways. And in the summer with no A/C, I just can't keep the windows closed all the time.

\:\(

I'm not Japanese but I do like to clean every day, not obsessively but just so everything's tidy.

I'm quite pedantic about having the kitchen and bathroom clean, nothing more disgusting than a grotty sink or toilet.