1926. Hitler not in power yet. Alone in a room with him, gun in hand.

Do you like this poll?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Not quite the same but if you really want to do that, start another thread. I'm just interested to see what comments pop up here with my question.

(Go back to lurking \:\) )

1926? are we a person living in 1926 with no possible idea of how the next 20 years will transpire, just a prophecy of what might happen or are we time travellers with full knowledge of what would definitey happen if we didnt kill him then and there?.

The first one is tough, it hadnt happened yet, so we would be like the pre-cogs in the "Minority report".

The time travelling case is lot clearer.

Another curly question is you have Heinrich Himmler, Hermann Göring and Joseph Goebbels in the room too, would you get all four of them in one fell swoop, or just Adolf?

questions questions.

thought about his one a bit more, if you were a time traveller, you couldnt do it for the potentially severe dramatic changes in history of the 20th century (e.g the creation of Israel)

For starters if the war didnt happen one of your grandmothers perhaps could have married someone else who in the existing history died in the war but in the new timeline was freely available to play the field and scored your nana! you would never have existed in that case killing Hitler would instantly create a time paradox, the results of which could start a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe!

chinscratch.gif

in your drunken discussion you obviously forgot the wisdom of Dr Emmett Brown an his theory of time travel and the dire implications of tinkering with history.

I would sit down with him with a few chunks of choice cheese and talk.

I might want to check out some episodes of Star Trek first, to remind myself of the problems that could be caused to the timeline and all that. Very tricky business.

Quote:
Originally posted by nicole:
I wouldn't shoot him. I wouldn't shoot anyone (in cold blood).
what about if the blood was hot hot hot, or even lukewarm. would you do it then??

Heh.

Well, I know how to use a gun and I've often wondered whether I would shoot someone if they were threatening to hurt me or someone else. I think it would be a very difficult thing to do, even in the heat of the moment.

Even if Hitler had a knife, I'd probably opt to shoot him in the leg and run.

Definitely with Snowglider's angle.

Changing the course of history to what?

Perhaps with Hitler gone his even more crazed demonic neighbour would have srutted to power.

eek.gif

One Jurassic butterfly snuffed out by time travellers and Hitler may have been an iguana.

Or some crazed ape-human hybrid! I saw that too snobee, and it was so memorable that I can't recall the name of it for the life of me... confused.gif

I don't think I'd be able to do it. But ignoring the "disrupt the space-time continuum" theory, I think Nicole is on to something. Maybe I could bring myself to maim him to the point where he couldn't have gone on to be the ruler of Germany/crazed maniac of the Third Reich. Shoot him in the clangers maybe? Knee-cap him so he couldn't do his goose step...

I'd have shot him,no problem, although it would certainly have meant I would not have been born.

I doubt that it would have changed things. Marx was convinced that "The Revolution" was going to come from Germany because of the social situation. Hitler was the one, but there were others too.

i don't mean to be rude, but isn't this the sort of conversation we have when we are forteen and have yet to realize that there have been plenty of other equally hidious genocides to inflict this planet. and as such then are we not capable of understanding that forcibly removing one person regardless of who they are cannot rid the planet of this terrifying desease? i have to agree with O11, can't we make this a little more contemporary?

but to stay to the main topic, on a personal level, having come back from the future, and knowing all the details i would not dare touch the man. to kill him would mean that my grandparents would not spend four years in a nazi concentration camp, would not have thus been displaced in belgium, would not have met each other while waiting to be relocated to canada, would not have had my mother, and thus not have had me. so no, in my case he lives. is that selfish? confused.gif

I agree with Daver/011.

But, If I had gun in hand I'd have to shoot something, never a living thing though. I'd prolly invite Hitler out back to shoot some cans or something. Shit, I don't know.

If it was Bush and the heavy ashtray, I'd just use it to catch the ash from the phatty I would have sparked up, while trying to talk some sense into him.

BagOfCrisps, you should be ashamed of yourself for even considering something that you might have talked about when you were 14 and/or ignoring the fact that there have been other genocides inflicting the planet. Naughty, silly boy. How could you? Next time, please think things through more seriously and thoroughly, and make sure they are contempory themes and things suitable for adult discussion, etc etc. OK?

I'm sure Bush would listen to you JPchucky. He would probably also change his ways.

Quote:
Originally posted by BagOfCrisps:
(Stems from a drunken and loud conversation from last night).
Gee, it seemed like he was trying to come up something for an academic publication too! Come on Bag of Crisps! Get your act together! :p

The PC thing to say is I feel all life is precious and we must weigh the pros and cons BUT knowing how his influence lead to the painful death of millions of people worldwide Id shoot him without a second thought.

Yes it is a "14 year old's" question but the moral and ethical argument is still valid. Do we commit what would normally be considered a crime to prevent a greater harm befalling others. It has been the justification of many retaliatory actions in the past. Few in their right mind would now support Neville Chamberlain's appeasement of Hitler or condemn the allies decision to fight. Yet in making that decision millions perished.

Maybe the question should be, do I have the 'right' to do this?

I got told there didn't I?

confused.gif

I will make a point of telling off and punishing my friends and demand that such childish behaviour is stopped. I will of course also have to sit down and think hard about my own shortcomings and participating in such behaviour. I am suitably ashamed and filled with regret.

One thing's for sure, next time we get pissed and are having a laugh, I'll make sure that "14 year old" topics are out of bounds. (Although we might talk about girls a bit, but in an adult manner - that ok?)

BOC, talk about what ever the hell you want to talk about with your mates.

pardon me, i was't trying to suggest that you topic was childish but rather that the perspective that killing one man would actually make a difference in the global perspective is childish, naive, and really Euro-centric. as such to consider said topic as actually worth debating on a public forum is perhaps a little childish.

fossil "Maybe the question should be, do I have the 'right' to do this?"; that is certainly a more interesting slant.

on the topic of getting twisted out of joint; if i recall BOC, you were "just interested to see what comments pop up here". now surely when posting a thread regarding "a drunken and loud" conversation that you and you mates had involving the systematic slaughter of millions of people on a public forum, you must have foreseen that at least a few people might find the topic as being: in poor taste, offensive, ridiculus, even boring. some people might even tell you so. if you are going to bring up a discussion like this you have got to have thicker skin man.