Came up in another thread but these links might be useful. Info on train stations in and around Tokyo with lifts and escalators.

Tokyo (JR) in Japanese

http://www.jreast.co.jp/estation/stations/

Tokyo (Private lines) in English

http://www.wakakoma.org/aj/map/etokyo01.pdf

Yokohama (All) in English

http://www.welcome.city.yokohama.jp/eng/tourism/walking/1100.html

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Definitely skiing. Then you can train him to pull you along the flat sections, so you don't have to unclip.

We wait for obsolescence   Just really hope he grows up OK.

Baby number two.   GirlInJapan  

• 3 weeks later...

We went to the hospital today and the kid is wild! On the ultrasound, he's flippin around, flashing the shaka, and basically having a blast in there. We're still quite a ways away, but getting excited!

and i'm glad I'm not carrying - There's no way I could have a kid...i'd miss a season of snowboarding, that's unacceptable!

I know you are half-joking but do you think mothers have a different kind of relationship with their babies?

I leave MMT with Mrs Tarzan in law or the nanny for work 5 or 6 days a week and put him to bed almost as soon as I get home so the only time I spend with him is on my day off. I don't think I would want to go off skiing for that day and leave him behind even if someone offered to babysit for free. I think that he's only this age once and I only have one chance to enjoy it. By the time he's 10 he will be trying his hardest to get away from me so I have to make the most of these few years. The snow isn't going to grow up and start chasing girls down the pub!

Having said that, I'm certainly not a stay at home mum. He's old enough now (8 mths) to come along and do most of what I do but I just have to take things a bit slower. A few less hours skiing each day, hiking lower mountains with him in his carrier and building sandcastles rather than diving with laser-equipped sharks for a few years is worth every minute.

Different perspectives Jane. Baby stays with us 24x7, wife and maid at home. Wife will soon go back to the rat race leaving maid to look after our life's reason to live. Even now mother can't bear to be away from him for more than an hour, god knows what she'll get upto when she's at the office.

As we can't be without him, we have to take him skiing. I'll probably be on the mountain hours at a time and baby and mum on the family slopes for a while in the mornings, then more in the afternoon. Nice easy time they'll have.

It's true, life is too short to be missing seasons. More so when baby gets indoctrinated.

I think the age is cos kids need to be toilet trained and able to communicate well enough before they can go to ski school. If little Thursday is a fast developer you may be okay by 2 1/2 at the earliest.

Well, took MMT to Oiso Long beach last week. It was freezing cold and very windy cos of the typhoon so infant hypothermia was more of a worry than him catching anything from microbes in the pool! The pool was deserted and the water very choppy! We went in the water quite a few times though and he wore my neopropene t-shirt tied at the waist on top of his swim suit! He loved it and I abandoned his inflatable thing after the first day cos he kept climbing off it to get in the water! He tired himself out so much he fell asleep half way around the pool on two of the days! It was pretty cool having a 300m pool to ouselves though. He probably thinks that swimming involves freezing water, typhoons and wetsuits now! Guess he's gearing up to be a surfer!

If anyone has a toddler wetsuit (up to about age 2) they want to sell, PM me \:\)

Photobucket is doing maintenance so I'll post a few pics when it's back online.

desertedpool.jpg

Ioanonturtle1.jpg

Ioanonturtle2.jpg

Ioanswimming1.jpg

tiredfromswimming.jpg