http://www.bolt.com/bcmom/video/994705?cn=HUBS_video_new_today_PAGE1

Pretty sweet.

Not really a new idea but def. nice to see someone working on it. The problem has always been with the electrolysis of the H2O particle into hydrogen since the H-H bonding is so strong and really requires quite a bit of energy to chuck a H to get fuel.

But, if this ever becomes efficient enough as I think it someday will, I'll bet the oil lobbyist will try to shut that shit down in a hurry.

Isn't it amazing though, the first thing the Yank Government does with it is produce a military vehicle! (A-Holes!!)

At face value it has fantastic potential to solve all current energy issues.

Dissociation of water into hydrogen and oxygen is hardly new. I used to do it at home using salt water, a battery and a couple of electrodes. I used to trap the hydrogen in an empty washing up liquid bottle, stick a spark plug in the end, fire it wath a magneto and BOOM. A very satisfactory home made bomb.

The problem with hydrogen is handling it and storing it. It needs to be kept under very high pressure to keep it liquid at normal temperatures.

Ofcourse it's not new as stated in the original post. There have been claims that an internal combustion engine was built in 1805 that ran on water. Also in 1971 they made a Ford LTD that ran on water. Any hillbilly that attended the 6th grade knows of the bomb you speak of, was that supposed to be proof that the technology exists?

As stated in the video clip it will be most useful in industry. The gas is very safe since the flame is only 259 degees farenheit, but will instantly raise to the melting point of whatever it comes in contact with up to 10,000 degrees farenheit.

But yeah ofcourse it has to be kept under alot of pressure. In the engine it would be no problem only requiring a slight increase in pressure than what's already there, but before it's injected into the gas it would be difficult to safely store the amount needed for day to day driving.

Would it really be that different from LPG cars now in terms of storage and capacity?

The real problem is electricity. There’s not much point in having H2 cars if you still need a dirty great oil (or worse coal) fueled power station to generate the power for the H2 generation. In some ways H2 cars are a bit of a red herring in the environment/clean air arena. It is the power (or lack there of) needed to create the fuel that is the real problem.

The problem is that hydrogen needs to be stored at about 3000psi (I think) to keep it liquid. Whatever the actual number, that's a hazardous thing in the event of an accident. LPG is much safer.

The great advantage of hydrogen fuel is that it can be converted directly to electricity in a fuel cell. That means you can dump the internal combustion engine, which only gives about 35% efficiency max, as well as the transmission. All you need is a controller, some wiring and a set of electric motors in the hubs.

I believe that fuel cell cars will be where we end up, but it won't give quite the same feeling as giving a twin cam Alfa a good rinsing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
Sob, the FBI are now tracking everything you say....
My brother and I used to make gunpowder too. We went to the chemist's with a list comprising saltpetre, sulphur and charcoal. The elderly gentleman smiled nicely over his glasses as he supplied the ingredients, doubtless having made the same as a boy.

I made a muzzle loading cannon in metalwork at school. The teacher would have been in no doubt as to what it was. It worked really well. It was capable of firing an 8mm ball bearing through the corrugated iron fence behind our garden. There were a lot of holes in that fence lol.gif

what ragdoll said.

it takes more energy to do the electrolysis to seperate the water than you get from the hydrogen. so its not a solution unless you are creating the initial energy from solar/wind/wave/geothermal energy.

it pi$$es me off that the media makes out its free energy... the story is probably funded by the US government to stop people worrying about the impending energy crisis...

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
Sob, the FBI are now tracking everything you say....
My brother and I used to make gunpowder too. We went to the chemist's with a list comprising saltpetre, sulphur and charcoal. The elderly gentleman smiled nicely over his glasses as he supplied the ingredients, doubtless having made the same as a boy.

lol.gif
lol.gif No shit! Soub, me and my mate used to make gunpowder out of that stuff too! But we substituted the charcoal and sulphur for icing sugar! Just add saltpetre! Worked beautifully! AND, we also used to fill balloons with hydrogen we made using sulfuric acid (pool cleaner) and metal filings from the shed/workshop. We would then put the balloons on the end of a long pole and hold them over a candle - BOOM! Reading your posts gave me a good chuckle and brought back some memories lol.gif

lotta common childhood threads around here.

Used to make 'Bolt Bombs' with my bros.

Take 2 one inch (or bigger) diameter bolts and heavy duty nut.

Screw on the nut 1 or 2 threads, fill in the remaining nut hole with homemade gun powder, place a starting pistol cap on top to act as a detonator. Then screw in the other bolt to compact it as tight as hell.

Throw it at a concrete/brick wall, path etc.

The fun was never knowing which direction it would shoot when exploded.

Whizzing past heads, smashing neighbours window, ripping a hole in the verandah roof......

Ahhhh. The frivolous joys of innocence.

How did we survive?

we made bolt bombs too snobee! lol.gif And sticky tape bombs: many match heads, home-made gunpwder, two flints from a match box, all wrapped up really tight in tape until it's the size of a tennis ball. Then peg it up in the air as high as you could. When it came down and hit the road the friction on the flints ignited the powder and BOOM. Very noisy as it busts out the tape, but no flying shrapnel. Anyone here do spud cannons? lol.gif Spark plug welded into the bottom of a metal pipe closed off at the bottom end. Fill pipe with flammable gas from some sort of household spray, wedge potato into open end of pipe, ignite spark plug, and your spud goes flying a few hundred yards! Similar to Soubs cannon probably.

Clearly, I lived a sheltered life.

November 5th used to be fun though. No girly catherine wheels or rockets for us. All our money used to go on bangers. The thruppeny bangers would excavate a most satisfying hole in the ground. After they were banned, the newer bangers with a "rocket" fuse worked very well under water.