I was having lunch at a coffee shop today and was amused by the number of people blatantly checking themselves out in the mirrored window by my table.

Some of them were shockers - puffing out their chests, sucking in their bellies, flicking their hair... my friend and I were having a good laugh over it.

Do you check yourself out in windows? Is it a vanity thing or just a 'making sure everything's in place' reflex?

Never, but I always laugh at people like that too. Especially in Japan I see so many younger guys making sure their hair is all ****ed up by grabbing it and pulling it straight up, and then making sure the long hair next to their ears (supposed to be sideburns) is nice and glued to their head with spray/water. It's best when your late for something, taking a quick piss, go to wash your hands and all the sink space is taken by these kids.

It's especially funny when people suck it in / chest puffin like you describe, what's the point?

the long hair next to their ears (supposed to be sideburns)

lol.gif

I really do NOT like to check myself out in the mirror. I'm not lacking in confidence at all, don't feel the need. But it is just so definitely a crappy thing to do and be seen to be doing.

lol.gif

I try not to look at myself in the mirror at the gym. It makes me uncomfortable, staring at myself in front of a bunch of other people.

I have, however, been guilty of sneaking a peek at myself in windows once or twice. Half vanity, half 'making sure everything's in place' I guess.

i was looking at myself in the mirror today and i realized that my belly button is slightly askew. rather that being directly in the middle of my belly it is actually a full button right of centre. the thing is i could have sworn it was directly centred even just recently. can belly buttons shift? wakaranai.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
what, like making sure there's no costume malfunction? eek.gif lol.gif
Hehe... maybe! :p

I once had a wardrobe malfunction on a date... I was very embarrassed but my date thought he was getting lucky for sure. Since then I've always carried a safety pin in my handbag ... just in case. lol.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
mirror checks are essential in winter to make sure there are no boogers hanging out thumbsup.gif
agree totally! i don`t think it`s vanity at all to `check yaself, before ya wreck yaself`. gotta make sure the collar`s sittin pretty and that there`s no nori on ya teeth.
what some would call vanity, others would call pride ;\)

nah, there's a difference between checking for "abnormalities" and making sure everything is right, and then being a complete narcicist like the guys here are talking about. These guys/girls that stand there completely checkin themselves out for minutes at a time without even having the decency to appear embarrassed like the rest of us! lol.gif The first is pride, the second is vanity.

Quote:
I check my tie sometimes before a meeting but avoid much more.... I'm shy.
Me too, Middleman C Charbroiled 2 Gwenda! Very shy.

(By the way is Middleman C Charbroiled 2 Gwenda your real name?)