Okay, here's one of the only clips I have of me skiing this year. Nothing spectacular, but a nice day in some decent powder. This is the only good part of Appi in my opinion (Peak 2)

First real powder of the season on fixed knee

Another one of my friend launching off a jump before testing it out. Luckily the powder was deep at Appi that day.

Davo with the big ass-landing

PS - cool site Fattwins. Glad I looked into it!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill put some more clips up tomorrow plucky from before. Also send on your addy in a private and Ill ship tapes to you next week. As a favour please send em back when your done but you dont have to rush.

Yeah the site is cool but lots of kids.

What happened to snowboarding all year?

Good clip but me being 5'7 that powder would have been thigh deep. The joys of being short sometimes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
dude your buddy ate it huge. tell him to get his hands forward off the jumps.
Everytime I see that clip I start cracking up! That was a fairly steep run at Appi where big, heavy powder moguls were starting to form. I believe that jump was snow piled up on a rock and the landing was pretty steep. He was the first one to test it and none of us thought it would throw you back like that \:\) Davo is a really good skier though and usually sticks most his stuff and he can go big.

---Just threw this together over the last 20 minutes. The skier in the whole thing is Davo. The first 2 clips are the Avalanche Run at Hachimanai Forest (face run down low). Freaking deep as hell powder but the lower mountain had a 3" crust layer on top of it. Tough skiing - but at least I made it all the way down without stopping or crashing \:D . The boarder is from Appi, and the last clip, is well, Davo screwing around on blades.

Da link to what I described directly above

Thanks for looking into this for us SJmod! I think this will turn out really cool!

Fattwins - I'll PM you in a few minutes. I'm done uploading clips for tonight.

Late into the convo... But If I get anything worthy I will forward it in.

I have been doing promotional surf vids for a little while now. I recommend using imovie to capture film & to edit basic stuuf, & Final pro cut 3 or later.

By the way I have a new DVD coming out (surf) and I need to get it printed in Japanese region coding. Anyone know of any reputable places that can do this?

• SnowJapan Admin

All very interesting!

OK, we'd like to help. In the short term here's an idea.... what do you reckon?

- we create a special email address for people to send short video clips to us;

- we upload the clips that are sent in;

- we then create a new "Video Gallery" page on the site - complete with links to relevant Insider member pages and Forum profiles;

- we create a Video Gallery thread on the Forums so people can keep a track of what videos are up there.

Snow Japan already uses up a great big chunk of bandwidth each day, and we do have our limits in terms of both bandwidth and space. So..... we would have to keep an eye on how this affects those things - and so there are no guarantees as to how far we can go with this idea etc. We would of course try to keep it going - but as long as people realise up front that this is a 'trial', so to speak, then there should be no problems.

How does that sound? Let us know - either here or by email ( editor@snowjapan.com ).

Thanks!

nice one SJ#1 clap.gif

& that works really well for what Plucky wants to do, because he can source all the clips from that location, do his edit, & then send it to you to be uploaded to the movie page. So viewers can see the original clips as well as the edit cool.gif

• SnowJapan Admin

OK, we'll give this a go.

The email address is vids@snowjapan.com .

No hard "rules" as such (for now!), but please don't bombard us with massive files, or many at the same time. Please try to keep the file size as low as you can - but try not to be more than a MB.

If you do send in vids, please let us know your Insider and Forum handle.

And we'll see if this can be a viable new part of the site....

hmm, under 2 Mb is quite restrictive for video. Is that set in stone as the absolute limit? I mean, fair enough if it is - I fully appreciate your bandwidth issues.

If thats the case, I'd rather be able to put up a link to my own webspace, & just have a thumbnail of the video appear on the SJ page. Is that possible?

This is a great development, and most welcome.

But...

nekobi's video is almost too small to see what is supposed to be happening. Whereas the ones posted on the other ski sites are fine. (I LMBO at the 'fun-ski' antics)

I fully understand the implications of bigger size, but if you can't really see what you've downloaded, there's not much point.

Also as one of the majority PC users, can I recommend non-Mac formats? One gets tired of 'brushed metal' interfaces. ;\)

• SnowJapan Admin

How's this >

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/gallery/index-vids.html

By the way, the nekobi vid was posted as we received it. We're not going to be able to get into any editing or changing the files that we receive.....we'll leave that up to the video-er -if we upload vids to this section, they'll be posted as we get them without any changes made.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
This is a great development, and most welcome.

But...

nekobi's video is almost too small to see what is supposed to be happening. Whereas the ones posted on the other ski sites are fine. (I LMBO at the 'fun-ski' antics)

I fully understand the implications of bigger size, but if you can't really see what you've downloaded, there's not much point.

Also as one of the majority PC users, can I recommend non-Mac formats? One gets tired of 'brushed metal' interfaces. ;\)
The quality and size really depends on the user and how the video is rendered for the web. It looks like nekobi's video was done at the lowest quality setting I would guess. The ones I posted above in this thread were done at a 'high' setting. I'm not sure of the pixels, but the size varies by quality (obviously). So, basically, the longer the video, the lower quality it will be. You can probably upload 1 to 1:10 second video at high quality and keep it under 2MB.