so who is making a ski movie this season? \:D

i've just spent the last 6 hours or so playing with adobe premiere, editing bits of footage from the ski season so far... not so much skiing (got a bit lazy with the video camera at times!) but plenty of funny stuff. lol.gif

... who's making a ski movie? we should have a competition or something... view everyone's work at the end of the ski season. something to look forward to and have a few laughs over. we're gonna have a ski movie party with our friends so we can all watch the fruits of our labour!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually just finished editing another version of my ski movie from last year. I had to clean it up a bit and get rid of some of the f-bombs and other unsaviory language so that the bible thumpers on the bus tomorrow don't get pissed when I show it \:\)

Funny that you bring this topic up. Low Pressure Lover and I have been PM'ing and I was throwing around the idea of collecting footage from different people on the board and making a SnowJapan.com movie.

I've put a couple of ski flicks and one surf flick together over the past two years and have had a blast doing it! They are nothing professional, but have turned out pretty good for their intended purposes.

How are you liking Adobe Premier? I'm using Pinnacle Studio 8 and have found that it likes to crash at odd times. There is also a delay when capturing footage of about two seconds or so which is a big pain. Actually, Studio 7 was a lot more stable IMO. I was thinking about purchasing Premier but would like to look into it a bit more. Any good insight??

Anyway, the filming this year is going great so far! Lots of good ski footage and funny stuff. I probably won't start storyboarding the thing for another month or so, after I get a bunch more raw footage. Would love to see what others have or have done.

So what do you think - Collect footage somehow from everyone who's into it (I may just set up a server at my house or buy a lot of space) and then collaborate on something?? Could turn out pretty cool \:D

Off to bed - 4AM wakeup call to head to the mountains clap.gif

Why dont we put the best of all our footage together and make a sort of SJG crew movie.

My PC is not good enough for editing but I could forward you my tapes or a video tape with my best scenes and you can record it back into you cameras.

Is this a stupid idea?

i think its a great idea to make a SJ video. cool.gif

unfortunately all my stuff is low-res > 320X240 15 fps, as its all just captured on digital stills cameras, but that really only means it would look a bit crap played back on a TV - if we made a video & published it on the web, it'd have to be low-res anyway.

so plucky - if you are keen to edit something together, i'll upload all my best movies & stills for you, & i would be happy to create the opening titles for it too \:\)

I can send a bit of stuff from last year and I'll have more at the end of Feb. What computer format are you using - my stuff is currently both on DV tape and Final Cut (Mac) and iMovie. I can probably convert it something compatible for PCs if you tell me what that is.....

Sorry, cut and pasted since the site was doing some rehab when I posted:

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:

Why dont we put the best of all our footage together and make a sort of SJG crew movie.

My PC is not good enough for editing but I could forward you my tapes or a video tape with my best scenes and you can record it back into you cameras.

Is this a stupid idea?

I think it's a great idea! I'd be happy to do what I can. LPL sounds like the real pro with this, but I'd be more than happy to try to piece some stuff together.

Since this forum is so international though, I'd love to have an international soundtrack to it. Being an Ami, I have my music tastes and understand that many others on here have theirs (I read the thread \:\) )

We just have to facilitate a way to get the footage from one person to the other. After seeing some of LPL's stuff and Fattwins stuff (I think last year??), this could be kick ass! I guess we'd have to set up some common type of file format (Mpeg or AVI ?? - I do Mpeg usually) and then get it to each other. ANYONE that has any footage could contribute.

SnowJapan admin - I've never served up footage or transfered it from person to person. Any chance you guys have some space we could dedicate to this? Maybe an Ftp site? I just got a new computer with ample space so storage is no problem for me. I'm thinking a DVD at the end of all this. I have the equipment for it.

Just some ideas. Keep bouncing them around people - this could be really cool! \:D Think about it - A Gaijin ski film with footage from all over the country!

PS - I showed my movie from last season on the ski trip bus today and it went over really well. I wasn't expecting applause for it. I had people asking me throughout the day how I did it, and how I got the shots (??). Pretty cool \:D

hooray!!! this will be great!!! i know our japanese friends went crazy when we showed last years movie that we took using a digital still camera. there's just something about seeing yourself, your friends and places you know...

Quote:
How are you liking Adobe Premier?
quite crap at it really cos i've only started nutting with it and the manual is enormous... i'm going with the play with it and use the manual when you get stuck appproach! i'll let you know when after i've used it more...

as for a soundtrack, jared and i were gonna try and use as much kiwi music as we could \:D , but there's lots out there to choose from - we could even have some japanese stuff...

anyways, as far as server issues and uploading footage etc, i'll leave that to jared. he's prolly got a lot more ideas than me cos i'm a bit of a retard when it comes to computers. refused to use one in my first year of varsity and hand wrote everything!!! lol.gif and that was 1998!!!

Hey SJ dudes...

how about letting us put short video clips on our members page??? Is that also a possibility??

my vids are also just from the digi-cam...not too impressive on the big-screen...

danz

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
This years vid links are from about 2 weeks ago plucky.

Ill gladly send my tapes off to somebody for a true video. music as long as country music isnt playing when im sking I dont care.
Did you post them up on here? I must have missed them if you did. Could you provide a link to the post here if it exists? Oh - and there is no way in hell any country music would EVER be used in a ski/board video \:\)

Thunderpants - thanks for the info on Premier. Stability is the big thing I'm looking for. One thing I did find in Pinnacle 8 was an automatic 'save project' option which I have set to autosave every 120 seconds. Seems to be working well so far in recovering what I've done when the program crashes. I'll take a look at 'editstudio' tonight.

I'm going to check into some server space tonight also and get started on seeing how the best way to do this is.

While I want to see Fattwins skiing to some nice country music, I recommend "Season Song" by Blue States as the opening theme song.

Lyrics below;

We are holding off the year

And now our season is here

All the balances are clear

Now that our time is here

In our perfect present tense

Through our white rose tinted lips

When the words have all been spent

Will we still have laughing

Through the window see the place

Like a (?) embrace

For a moment face to face

In the sweetest embrace

Ooohh Ooooh Ooooh Ooooh

We're holding off the year

And now opur season is here

All the balances are clear

The melody seems to match powder turns too.

thats a lovely song, O11...

So Plucky, is it safe to assume that you are totally happy to direct & edit this thing? It could be a lot of work, but if you are really enjoying it, then go for it!

what do you think about the titles? I would be really keen to do them - just the intro graphics that is. You're the Director, so tell me what you want & I'll make it so \:\)

sorry but I still havent uploaded the rest of my movies... will soon...

Quote:
Originally posted by low pressure lover:
thats a lovely song, O11...

So Plucky, is it safe to assume that you are totally happy to direct & edit this thing? It could be a lot of work, but if you are really enjoying it, then go for it!

what do you think about the titles? I would be really keen to do them - just the intro graphics that is. You're the Director, so tell me what you want & I'll make it so \:\)

sorry but I still havent uploaded the rest of my movies... will soon...
I'm fine with doing all of the editing and putting everything together. Is that really a director?? I'd call it the puter-togetherer \:\)

Ya man, the opening graphics and credits are all yours! Just don't make it too nice - don't want the opening overshadowing the rest of the project ;\)

Once this gets moving a bit, we can have a movie naming contest - how's that sound? Also, since you and Fattwins (and others? - I'll have to do a search) have already posted some stuff up, maybe we can just have a thread dedicated to the posting of the links to others work. I can then just download the clips from there. I'm still looking into getting my own space to host stuff, but it's slow going with the internet provider I use. They're supposed to give me a call'sometime this week.'

I should have things a bit more organized at the start of next week. I kind of already have an opening in mind using some of my Hakkoda scenery footage from last year. It kind of fades between the mountains in the summer and then in the winter. I did it for my film last year and it turned out pretty good. Might just have to recycle it and do it for this too.

Probably won't get much done tonight. I have a ski club meeting that is going to keep me busy and then a b-day party after that.

I'll get back to you all soon on this though!

yip, you are the director/editor plucky! you pick the shots, & piece it all together anyway you like - im sure you'll do a great job \:\)

I could do with a title pretty soon, as Im keen to do the titles while I have some free time... anyone got any ideas?

"SnowJapan Riders 2004 - A Yuki Fantasy" haha - thats pretty naff - im sure someone can do better than that!?

SJ.com - do you guys have enough space for people to upload their video clips to your server? Then Plucky could just dowdload them from there.

Hey guys,

Just got done downloading and saving all of Fattwins and LPL's stuff that I could find. On here. Some really, really good stuff from both of you!

LPL - I'm already having fun with this and coming up with some stuff for piecing this together! I'm playing with some of my clips in Studio 8 right now. Looks like I can create a final copy of this thing a couple different ways with no problem. After I get done storyboarding, adding music, adding what you come up with, etc... I can render it into an MPG for storage on a CD, create a DVD video out of it and also create a lower resolution Windows Media File that we could possibly have hosted here on the site (hint, hint ;\) ) That final choice might work out best with some of the lower res stuff, but I haven't put any of your stuff in at a higher res to try it out yet.

Fattwins - I just signed up for Newschoolers and am attempting to put a couple of short clips up there myself. The ones I got from you are great for a web video, but I believe you mentioned you had all of your footage on DV? At some point if I could get it at a higher resolution, that would be great!

Ocean11 - Great song man! Downloaded it off of Kazaa tonight. I really think that will work out well for an opener!

Okay, so anyone else out there want to contribute any footage for this? Any suggestions on musical choices or anything else is welcome too \:D