I thought I'd create a new jogging thread.

The last month or so I've been trying to increase my distance without stopping and I'm up to about 8km, 4 nights a week. Not too bad I reckon, and I'm actually kinda enjoying it at the moment though some days in the morning the underside of my foot hurts a bit.

Tell me about your current jogging habits!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best way to build your stamina fast is this:

For the third and seveth kilometres of your jog you need to push yourself to the point where you are really uncomfortable. Not just 'puffed' but 'heart bursting out of your chest' exertion.

Each time you go push it a bit farther. After a couple of weeks (maybe sooner) you should be able to do this every second kilometre. When you begin to find it difficult to push yourself out of the 'comfort' zone, go to 10km and start over with this method.

Make sure you walk a couple of hundred metres before stretching. Stretching 'cold' can actually do you more harm than good.

Better off doing a shorter run with heaps of fartlec, pushing hard for 2 km's outta 7 isn't much.

Better still, go get a heart rate monitor find your max heart rate and train to your heart rate.. It doesn't lie.

for beginners, try this site . It has a great program to ease yourself into running from nothing. I used this to get back into shape and am still not there yet, but I won't be happy till I am running sub 40 10k's!m(so my happiness will not be too soon!)

Orange, you're not running the same course still are you?

and orange stretch stretch stretch!!

My asics are great-did you ever get your shoes on the net Indo. I wish I could get out 4 times a week. Try to do 2 trail runs a week between 60-90 mins and no idea how far I am running really. I generally have a top of the hill or other such circit objective. Will join the gym in my work building soon and use the running machine during the day if I'm not too busy.

Davo, Nah diddn't get from the net in the end. I was lucky and found a good pair that fit me at a shop in Sakae for half the price!

I'd love to do some trail runs. I've been mainly running on the machines at the gym as I like to use them to pace myself. I'm going to try early mornings before swimming starts in June. Cardio at the gym is taking up too much of my weights time and I need to get on grass for the sake of my shins.

Davo, with those trails nearby, the weather warming up, youre gonna join a gym to run indoors? Why? wakaranai.gif

Swim or do some cross training with weights. If youre lucky and they have a rowing machine then hit that. I cant stand running indoors.

Didnt run yesterday so i could give my knees a rest but did Yoga for over an hour. Stretching feels so good. Will go for a run tonight.

Time for new shoes too.

Wanna try to Hash (Hash House Harriers - a drinking club with a running problem) in each country I go to this summer as well \:D

Davo, whatchu think bout a nice trail run on Sunday dependin on da weather?

run indoors why? convenience, ability to control speed and incline, clean air conditioned air, knee saving shock absorbing running surface (thats if its good machine)

Japan doesnt do rowing machines - too dangerous rolleyes.gif

yeah? excellent!, Kudos to that gym. I took some brochures from concept 2 to both the gyms have have patronized to convince of the merits of the rowing machine. Just air sucking and head shaking from the managers, "too dangerous and too difficust for our customers.........save me

Yamakashi. Reason is that it's nearly free for one, and furthermore I have a fair amount of downtime during the day so I can slip out to run, do weights, sleep in the big masssage chairs/beds, or surf the net and post on here (something I can't do in the office).

Apart from that the trail would defo be my first choice. I'll be keen for a run on Sunday afternoon if you are.

I had one of 'shouldn't even bother' runs last night. It's strange... almost as soon as I start I know if I'm going to be able to have a good run or whether it is going to be a big effort. Sometimes I feel I can go on for a long time and sometimes like last night I'm struggling after 1km. It's usually the same time and time after eating, so what is it? What I'm eating? or just my general condition that day or what? Any words of wisdom?

Everybodys habits and bodies are different. Some people can run soon after eating, others cant. Are you running hills or flats? My dad used to say about racing, some days are diamonds, some days are stones - got good and bad days like you do anything else.

What I would say is that if you finish your run on a bad day, no matter how bad you felt (as long as your not in physical pain), just finishing it is the important part. It adds that much more to your base.

Id just say stretch more if youre not.

Ran 10K last night with 2 halfmile farleks and about a 3-5 min recovery between. Stretched for an hour after.

I think he means fartlek. It's a session where you vary the intensity of your workout, e.g. start off steady, then go hard, then slow down to recover, go hard again, then go steady, etc.

thanks nicole for explaining that.. forgot the "t"

Yesterday after school did 10K along the Shukugawa river right up to the start of the mountian up around Koyo. Davo, this is where Ill take you next time you come to my place. Its also where I pointed out the big hill and the waterfall is just above that big hill that I pointed out to you last Sunday.

Its a beautiful run, in the pouring rain \:D , which basically starts near the ocean in Ashiya near my house and goes right up the river on a soft dirt trail. At about the 4K spot heading out you start getting into the hills/steep parts at the foothills of Mt. Rokko. I ran up to the waterfall and above it before turning around. You can then go as far as you want up in the hiking trails of Mt. Rokko and from there you could easily run on the trails all the way to Mt. Maya in Sannomiya (if one was really that eager lol.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by TheOrange:
[QB] Thanks CB. It just annoys me that some days I'm feeling great, then the next day I feel pretty terrible. \:\(
I get those days sometimes and I find it best to still go and do it (the run, gym etc) Usually on "bad days" I will just back it off abit or do an alternative thing like Yoga,

yes CB let's doing Yoga.

lol.gif thumbsup.gif

Ive never been a flexible person but have been working on that for the past year or so on and off.

Yoga really is nice. Your body/muscles/mind feels quite refreshed after stretching for an hour (+) Getting to the point where Id like to get into, is it, Power Yoga? Which seems somewhat similar to Tai Chi (though Ive never done it but wanna try it). It has a more fluid motion to it than just stretching and breathing though I like the calmness that I feel when doing it.

Anybody do Tai Chi? Asked on a different thread but got no replies.

Never tried it but I've often seen people doing it in the park. Is it considered a martial art?

I'm reasonably flexible... probably the only good side effect from years of gymnastics.

I find yoga is really good for just maintaining a basic level of flexibility and strength... but am I alone in thinking it's a little bit boring?

Maybe I just don't have the focus for it.

Someone recently told me that "pilates kicks yoga's ass". Can anyone vouch for this?

Davo,

Those 3 ta 4 uphill sections were insane!! Steep, bad footing, slippery and rocky, and a few were loooooooooooong too \:o

Im gonna try to hit the back side of that run coming from school since Im way up the mountain here and find if any trails will intersect it somehow today.

Keen Sunday if youre free again. Though if its sunny we gotta run earlier than last week.