I'm riding a carving board and was wondering when and where the best time for warm weather carving would be in Japan? I'm thinking Niigata or Nagano, but I'd rather not be snowboarding in rain... any ideas?

Ishiuchi Maruyama (Niigata) is one of the best..(good nighta as well)..What are you riding?...I've just bought Nideccker tracer...Its a seriously cool looking board..need another knuckle dragger to ride with send me pm!

I'm based in Okazaki, in Aichi. About 30 minutes from Nagoya.

I'm riding a Prior 4WD with Catek Olympic Pro bindings and Head Stratus Pro boots. Size 31, mm-mm.

Baka...I might take you up on that offer. I was at Ishiuchi Maruyama earlier this season and I had a great time in spite of only exploring half the mountain -- it was snowing so much and so overcast that what I thought was the top was revealed by the end of the day to not be the top at all. D'oh!

I like 'em a lot, Yamakashi. My japanese has sure gotten a _lot_ better here. Granted, I'm taking private lessons in addition to the regular program, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who studied in the AIJP program and didn't come out a lot better than when they went in.

misaki> springtime is fine so long as snow enough is on the ground. I'm actually hoping for warm weather \:\)

hey mrjamie were you up at niseko snapping boards about a month back? cause i met a guy on the lift with your equipment. if so, i bought the donek axis you recommended. gonna try it out this wknd up there again.

Yea, that was me. You had all that old-school equiptment and were thinking of upgrading, right? I'm glad I was able to help \:\) I hope you like the Donek -- let me know after you get to use it!

will do. and thanks. i stumbled across this forum cause i was looking for some info on Head Stratos Pro boots. what i've read so far, they sound pretty good. esp the fasteners. my old Raichles are kinda squishy and the buckles are cheezy plastic things, sometimes they fly open when i'm coming down the hill. how are your boots?

The boots are great. They might be a little bit stiff compared to the Raichles, but there's an article here (http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1034) about how to modify them for a slightly looser ride.

Otherwise, they're pure comfort. A little tight on the ankles, but after you adjust to them it's no problem.

The fasteners are great, they're solid metal and adjustable as well.

the donek is fantastic! scared the crap out of me at first, it's so fast and once the edge locks in, it doesn't let go. you really have to know what you're doing (ie. i don't)(yet). niseko was a bit crusty on friday, my first day with it, so i hurt my ass a bit... then i got used to it and besides the rest of the weekend was great; fresh snow etc. i can't wait to get out on it again. may go back up to hokkaido for a wknd in april...

thanks for the info about the boots.

btw did you actually cut that big notch in your boots they were talking about in that forum?

I'm glad you like the Donek. That's what I had read about it, that the edge bites into the snow and stays locked in. In fact, I'm really glad to hear you're having a great time with the new equiptment. I'm trying to figure out where I can go for one last trip before the season is over. Yuzawa just got a little rain, so I'm not sure yet...

I haven't touched my boots at all, once I figure out how to read french I might attempt that modification. Until then...