I went to my parents' place today for lunch with the family. During lunch my sister brought up a sensitive topic and an argument broke out. It was quite funny because the old family dynamics kicked in and everyone took the same 'sides' as we did when we were all living under the one roof.

The 'sides' are: my mum and my sister on one team and my dad, my younger brother and me on the other. My older brother usually remains impartial, unless he has something to gain by siding with one group. Sneaky bugger.

Does anyone else's family have sides when there is an argument?

That's because you keep bringing Burma into it and your family are a bit slow in coming up with an adequate response. When they learn that the 'red herring' is a fairly low-level rhetorical device, you're gonna be toast.

Aw that's nice! My mum's like that with my sister. She'll defend her no matter what, which I find quite annoying. By the same token, I'm my dad's pet so he almost always backs me up.

I wonder what it would be like to be an only child. Would it be the kid vs the parents or would one parent always side with the kid?

Nicole, I'm sure it will different for others of course but for me it's my mum who sticks up for me no matter what. Probably to balance out the ott fits my dad can get himself into quite easily! (bless 'im)