I am from Hong Kong. I am currently choosing from a variety of worldwide ski-wear brands for my coming ski trip to Hakuba.

My question is simple: is Montbell from Japan good? (when compared to Columbia, The North Face, etc)

Thanks

What up Gord? I'm also from Hong Kong. Is this your first time skiing?

Mont Bell is no good for ski-wear. They make decent (if way over-priced) hiking-gear. The only place with decent siki-wear in HK is the "Down City" place in Tsim Sha Tsui. But even they have a limited selection. My advice would be to come over here and buy stuff here. Way way more selection, and th sales are on.

I think Mont Bell is up there with the big names. It seems to be made pretty well. When I am in the market for new jacket/pants I will be looking at MB

As for Columbia it usually seems to be more of a recreational jacket.

For North Face you have to watch out. They have a line of outer layers that is crap and then a line that is excellent. So just because it has the TNF logo does not mean it is good.

Also for buying products in Asia outside of Japan you will have to watch out for blackmarket remakes. I have seen a few back home in BC. People go to Korea or China and other countries and buy a TNF jacket thinking they are getting a deal only to find that it falls apart pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:

For North Face you have to watch out. They have a line of outer layers that is crap and then a line that is excellent. So just because it has the TNF logo does not mean it is good.

Interesting, can you give specifics about what NF line to avoid, which you recommend? I was thinking about getting new wear pretty soon...
 Quote:
Originally posted by gordonkwan:
Any comparison between The North Face's Hyvent and Columbia's Omi-Tech/Omi-Shield?

Thanks
Not sure. Maybe Columbia is like North Face with a recreational line and a good line. Have never really looked at the good columbia stuff. But the TNF hyvent stuff is good from what I have heard.

For the price, I don't rate TNF very highly. They do come out with some fantastic stuff, but I agree you have to pick and choose. My North Face gortex gloves are the worst gloves i've ever owned, and the most expensive.

Montbell make great, tough, reliable budget gear for mountaineers and BC enthusiasts, and it's getting better all the time. Value for money is top, it's not fair to compare them to the likes of THF though, as they are considerably cheaper.

As for columbia, the stuff i've seen is a huge step down from montbell.

Quote:
Originally posted by montoya:

Interesting, can you give specifics about what NF line to avoid, which you recommend? I was thinking about getting new wear pretty soon...
Well you have to look at what its meant for. TNF makes a line of expedition level clothing and a line a ski resort level clothing.

While the ski resort clothing is probably good for a year or two do you really want to buy new gear every year.

But then you also have to look at the fashion if that is important to you. Generally the Expedition line is of a brighter colour (and that goes for all the bigger companies) and does not really follow the trends.

For myself I always look at function before fashion

What kind of quality do want and how much are you willing to spend is what you have to ask yourself?

Value for money-breathable-probably can't beat Lowe Alpines line of goretex equivalent jackets, the name escapes me... A mountaineering friend of mine in the industry rates the material above goretex, but its only half the price.

Just run a check. LA have just brought out a new line to compete w/ gortex, that isn't so cheap but alot more breathable...eVent. Looks good, but not the savings you might have been looking for.

As for value for money, there's probably no company in the high end market that consistantly produces better value for money than Lowe Alpine.

(I can't quite figure out why I don't own any...) confused.gif

That's the stuff, triple point. My friend swears by it, pretty tough stuff too.

A UK site is quoting a lightweight eVent alpine climbing jacket at 250 pounds-45,000 yen. (no fleece lining)

Montoya-seen LA sacks in Japan on occasion, but never clothing.

It is very disappointing that most (maybe all) Montbell stuffs are made in China. As a Hong Kong guy, I don't like stuff that is made in Mainland China.

However, it seems that nearly all big brands are now manufactured in either China or other third-world countries.

Montbell is good because it is from Japan.

Welcome to the global economy!!!

Then again, stuff made in China isn't always a bad idea. As a "gateway" to China, HK always gets stuff shipped through it. There's always the "occasional box of whiskey that slipped the net while being loaded" sort of goods available.....haha