I refuse to buy North Face. Worst gear I've owned (and I've owned alot) But it all depends on what you need it for. Columbia is alright if your life doesn't depend on it. Lowe Alpine make great stuff if you can find it outside of the US/Canada. I love Montbell stuff. Mainly because I could get it cheap at the North American HQ in my hometown of Boulder, CO. But, it's very light and you have to be careful to not rip it. As far as ski clothing go, Arcteyx make excellent gear, if you don't need that downpayment for the house that is. Marmot, Mountain Hardware as well. And then there's my standby - Patagonia. but all fairly expensive outside the US. Do be careful of blackmarket Northface especially. It's everywhere in Asia. Yes, it's all made in China but at least from the real factory it's much more dependable than the backalley tailor. Look for discounts online for anything and never, ever pay full price. There's plenty of deals out there and technology doesn't change that fast in clothing, thus the standby goretex for the past 10 years.

Mont Bell may be a good value, but I never liked their designs nor colors. They produce many products but to me none is good nor bad, just bland. And they don't have gaijin sizes (at least I have not seen them at the main store which is only 3 min. from my office). Instead I frequent Patagonia outlet in Maine whenever I go back to Boston.

Quote:
Originally posted by Teledude:
As far as ski clothing go, Arcteyx make excellent gear, if you don't need that downpayment for the house that is.
If your ever in the Vancouver BC area Arcteryx has a factory outlet store. Most of the gear is 30-40 percent off for little things like pen marks or little scratches which don't matter at all.

Just off the Grandview Highway from the #1.

Near the Roots factory store and a Wendy's. There is a big sign saying Arcteryx Factory store.

Does that help? I didn't live in Van so don't know street names just landmarks. Would always stop there on my way to MEC and surrounding stores.

I've had nothing but good luck with TNF and Columbia gear over the years. I buy the top of the line stuff usually though, so I'm sure that makes a difference.

I could start a really good side business over here I think. There are quite a few popular brands that will not ship from the US to a Japanese address due to the price differences I guess. I, however, can get it sent to me at my military address with no problem. I live off of REI and REIoutlet.com. So, anyone need anything?? \:\)

(actually, people have got in trouble for doing the above. I'm just goofing - no really ;\) )