If I have a boy, should we get him circumcized? Seems that most Americans do it, most Brits don't.

Last night I was talking to Tarzan about it. Tarzan says it's cleaner. Says all sorts of gunk gets trapped under there and it's only ever clean for about 10 mins after getting out of the shower. He thinks we should do it. I said he was more qualified than me to decide.

Was just reading up a bit about it today and it seems that modern medical thinking is leaning against it - saying that the healthy bacteria that live under there are good & might actually protect against STD's. Also makes the penis 50% less sensitive (apparently) cos half the nerves have been chopped off. I also read that it makes for less pleasure for the woman but I can't say I noticed any difference.

Oh yeah & there is no effective anesthetic so it hurts. Babies can get PTSD and not eat & sleep properly (for months in some cases).

What do you think?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
it's only ever clean for about 10 mins after getting out of the shower
With respect, don't agree with that at all.

Where are all these kinds of gunk coming from? I have a shower twice a day and think I'm a very clean Orange.
 Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
When it's done to females it is called genital mutilation. Why is acceptable for boys?
I don't know. That's why I asked what people thought. I would never have considered doing it but me Tarzan had it done in his late teens (medical reasons) and is glad he did. He thinks we should do it if we have a son.

Sorry to sound curt, me jane, not trying to be. It's a fold of skin which protects the glans and helps retain sensitivity. It also helps lubricate insertion when it rolls back. I'd leave it for now, and he can always have it done later if neccessary.

I guess he's a boy then \:\)

Thanks for the advice soubriquet. I think I'll talk to Tarzan about it again over the weekend. We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet but I'm sure I'll post it on here before I even tell my mum! The more I read about babies the easier a girl seems to take care of!

The hygiene one sounds like an urban myth. Circumcision is big business in Japan for private clinics that do elective surgery. Some Asians especially do have a foreskin that is too tight, but a lot of times it is unnecessary.

The backpacker copping-off program "Ainori" once showed a baby circumcision on one of their many travels. The contestants on it were invited to attend by the locals who treated the whole thing as a celebration. It was pretty gross to be honest.

Quote:
Seems that most Americans do it, most Brits don't.
How about Japanese?

The things you have to start thinking about when you have kids, hey?

I thought about it for my son's and after consulting my mum (who runs a hospital) she said not to worry and in OZ not that many people are doing it these days.

Asked the doc in Japan, and in their hospital it was an extremely rare operation..

someone said get it done later in life.... Ouch!

My mate's brother got it done when he was 13.. Cruel parents.. Better off doing it when they are young & have no memory of it.

It's clearly an idiotic practice - it's pseudo medicine driven by religious superstition. If there is a medical need for it, then it will probably become apparent when the child is old enough to consent to the procedure. (My son might actually need something done - he can decide for himself.)

More info:

Circumcision is thought to reduce the likelihood of all STDs except AIDs. Circumcision may actually reduce the likelihood of contracting AIDs. Google it if you want to know more about the research. (This should not be a factor in your decision, for what appear to me to be fairly obvious reasons.)

The loss of sensitivity is more to do with chafing of the glans than loss of nerves. The foreskin itself doesn't appear to be particularly sensitive.

Having recently had a vascectomy, I can tell you that getting anything down there cut is extremely unpleasant. It's only bearable when a) there's a good reason to do it which you fully understand, B) it's with your consent -- neither of which apply to circumcising babies.

Mutilated genitals don't look very nice either with that ragged ring of scar tissue.

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ OZ:
One word "smegma". Cut it off I say.
I guess you would know all about that because your boyfriend who wears lace is a veritable dairy.

me jane, the info on Wikipedia is worth a read.

Blokes who have been circumcised always trot out the same reasons for it, even though they have no way of knowing any better. Just think how much you would like to have been modified 'willy-nilly'. You'll be qualified to make the decision based on having carried the little tyke for 9 months.

Yes, ask a doctor if it wouldn't be better to lop his nose off too. The doctor is qualified in a way that those of us with our noses still attached aren't.

nicole, have you had your labia cut off? Perhaps you'd be cleaner for it.

lol.gif Always amusing O11.

I had the chop as a wee tyke, and wouldn't try to justify it based on my "experience" lol.gif

Can't say I honestly know or care one way or the other. Although Nicole, I have heard from a lot of my friends and my sisters back in Aus who have been popping them out quite consistently over the past 10 years or so, that it actually isn't all that common anymore. In fact, if my memory is correct, I think I remember one of my mates telling me that there actually aren't many doctors in Perth who will do it these days.

Quote:
Originally posted by Indosnm:
Better off doing it when they are young & have no memory of it.
I once saw a video of a newborn baby being "chopped", it was the most horrendous thing I have ever seen in my life. I have strong stomach for gore etc but this was something else, the screams the baby made were absolutely sickening, no anaesthetic,it was utterly cruel and sick and as it seems a act of "senseless mutilation".
A helpless newborn baby doesnt deserve that kind of pain. The foreskin is there for reason and it serves a valuable purpose why would you want to chop it off?
I will find the video again and send it to you mejane.

I like many kiwi boys were snipped in a misguided era, apparently less than 2% of NZ boys get chopped these days.
My son is fully intact with his manhood and after research about that matter I now wish for what was taken from me without my consent. I will give him something my misguided parents didnt give me - a fully intact unmutilated body.

Foreskins are a valuable commodity in the medical community and its big business esp in the USA.
Poeple make money out of it thats a big reason it still goes on.

Some 'snipped' men, so bitter at what was taken from them even go to the lengths of regrowing theirs, by years of dedicated stretching.