Yeah so ever since we moved into this apartment we've been getting mail addressed to the previous tenant. Every week I diligently write 'no longer at this address' on the envelopes and put them in the post box.

One company continues to send letters EVERY GODDAMN WEEK. Not just one letter, but two, addressed to the same person.

Today I rang the company and informed them that the person they were after hadn't lived here for almost a year and could they please stop sending us their mail. The guy I spoke to told me that the person in question owed them a lot of money and that it was company policy to keep an address in the system, even if the person no longer resided at that address.

I suggested that perhaps they could keep the address in their system without continuing to send two letters every week, thus saving themselves a lot of money and a forest from being chopped down. Logical, yes?

Apparently not. He told me that this was impossible as it was also company policy that they continue to send warning letters to the person 'in good faith'... even if the letters are quite clearly not reaching them.

Sounds to me like this company is run by a bunch of baboons!

Anyone else come across stupid 'policies' like this?

I got mobile phone bills for a the previous tennent of my apartment for 2 years. I called them so many times to tell them she had left Japan but the weren't having any of it. Finally I got my boss to call them & I don't know what he said but the bills stopped anyway.

Isn't there some kind of consumer or privacy group you can complain to?

But that's the thing, it's not really junk mail per se...

It just baffles me that this company would actively choose to waste paper and spend $50 a year on postage... and this is just for one bad debt, imagine how much this kind of thing would cost them each year.

Probably for legal reasons they have to keep sending the letters, so they can prove they were trying to reclaim the debt.

Its not that big a deal though really is it? I keep a box next to my letterbox and all junk mail goes straight into it (including several letters a week for a former tenant who gets more mail than I do). Once a month I chuck out the box with the rubbish.