For those of you driving - do you use self-service petrol stations or the usual thing where they give you the service?

There's one opened up near me that is calling itself "mini-self", whatever that means.

Side question to the gas stations in Japan. I have lived here for almost 4 years and I have always wondered why gas station attendants have to tell the customer that no traffic is coming so they can get on the road??? Do you lose your judgement and can't figure it out on your own? Nobody else does this except at gas stations.

Cut that out and they could reduce the service charge hey? ;\) I have thought the same. I find lots of the questions they throw at you all the time more than a little annoying.

Well, the extra service provided (not only at gas stations) doing seemingly menial/unnecessary jobs, is one of the things that has helped keep Japan's unemployment rates so low over the years.

Guzzler, maybe they meant to call it a "mini-me" station! lol.gif

BTW, I can't be arsed and just go where the service is. But that is more because of the fact that it is much closer than the nearest mini-me.

i go for the serufu since it's close and it's way cheaper (at least 9 yen). It seems like I can do a faster job. Also the attendants ALWAYS used a dirty cloth to wipe my windshield, making it dirty!!!!! mad.gif

Firedog, many places, not just gas stations get you out into traffic.

I just got to the closest place which is self serve and I use the speed pass and get a few extra yen off. When you are driving a car that does 3 km's to the litre of high oc everybit helps!

On the topic of service stations & self serve, the price difference as kumap said can be huge.

Which set me thinking(strange) - what our you folks around the country paying for petrol?

In Takamatsu at my local serufu I pay about¥123/litre.

Elsewhere?

Quote:
i go for the serufu since it's close and it's way cheaper (at least 9 yen). It seems like I can do a faster job. Also the attendants ALWAYS used a dirty cloth to wipe my windshield, making it dirty!!!!!
Sounds more like masturbation vs paid sex than filling up with gas \:D

I'm used to the service now. When I go back to the UK I have been known to sit there for a bit waiting for them to come, only to remember that they're not coming and I have to get out and do it myself lol.gif

I was just watching the news before. It showed you a self service stand that had some kind of electronic fruit machine on the stand that you played with while putting the gas in. Chance of winning stuff. lol.gif