It has changed because (in Oz at least) they now measure neck length at school before allowing contact sports. That's because of liability issues. I have forbidden No1 son from Aussie Rules and Rugger. No2 son has my build and can probably take it, but I still don't believe that 11yo's should play contact sport.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rag-Doll:
Presumably though Farquah, you would always qualify for citizenship in your home country, even if you gave it up.
This really like dual citizen ship depends on the laws in either country. I know someone who gave up his citizenship of his homecountry so he could be part of the Japanese football team. After he became a Japanese citizen he wasn't selected for the team! But he couldn't regain his citizenship, because he was seen as a Japanese who was born in a different country.
 Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
I have forbidden No1 son from Aussie Rules and Rugger. No2 son has my build and can probably take it, but I still don't believe that 11yo's should play contact sport.
That's abit over the top isn't it soubriquet? Kids have a higher risk of getting run over by a car I would imagine.
I couldn't imagine my childhood without playing footy.

....or falling off bikes....or breaking limbs skiing......driving cars when they get to licence age..life is full of risk.

Most 11 year olds are more than tough enough to play contact sports, contact between 11 year olds is pretty tame compared to contact between fully grown men.

I think a lot of junior rugby back home these days is "soft scrums" only.

I played competitive level rugby at university, a large amount of time in the front row at hooker, I never really thought about what if, I just played.

30 people left their homes today and will never return - victims of car accidents, does that make you want to stop driving? no, life is full of risk s.....as they say 'such is life'.

back on topic.

Citizenship - japan needs to get with the program and allow dual citizens, no ifs no buts.

The only people who would have anything to gain by taking Japanese citizenship and renouncing their old would be someone from a less than desirable African nation.

There are plenty of African nations whose passports wouldnt be as useful as a Japanese one.

No1 son is average height for his age and in the bottom 2% for weight. He has a very long neck. I taught him to ride a bike and ski, and I'll teach him how to be safe as possible in the mountains. He can play football or hockey or any one of a number of games. Sure, life is full of risk, but I don't think contact sports are appropriate for him, and they should certainly not be compulsory.

My secondary school had 250 boys. Several of the local comprehensives we played at rugby had 2000 to pick a team from. That meant from age 13-odd we were boys playing against men. An average thrashing meant 50-nil, and on a bad day it was 70-80 nil. That's not sport and it was no fun, but it was compulsory. I have nothing but contempt for the authorities who enforced this kind of mis-match and regarded it as "character building".

This is a hot topic for me. My experience is of being beaten up by adults at school for trivial infractions, including being hit on the head with a cricket bat by the sports teacher. I have no trust whatsoever that some bull-necked sadistic ex-squaddie has the welfare of my children in mind on the Rugby pitch.

Sorry.

**off topic**

Sure, I can understand where you are coming from Soub, But when were you last 11?

I am guessing 20-30 years ago?

Rules have been so damn modified these days for kids sports that you could hardly call them contact sports, mainly due to liability reasons. These days also, until high school age groups are usually in 2 year groups (eg. Under 8, Under 10 etc) so that young kids are not put in against adults.

**back on topic***

I agree snowglider with Japan (and Australia too) needing to get into line with dual passports. Having kids that are of dual nationality it makes me sad that they have to choose one when they become 21.

Does anyone know who makes them choose in the case of OZ-Japanese kids? Is it OZ or Japan that makes them choose which passport they want?

Quote:
Does anyone know who makes them choose in the case of OZ-Japanese kids? Is it OZ or Japan that makes them choose which passport they want?
I believe it would be Japan..but I am only 95% sure on this! But I know my father has 2 passports OZ and UK!

Japan certainly allows only one. Australia used to allow multiple citizenships, but that changed in the 80's or 90's. They didn't make it retroactive though, so I get to keep both of mine. The UK doesn't bother, so pere sakebomb is probably in the same situation as me.

I guess the rationale is government paranoia about citizens having divided loyalties, and eek.gif exercising choice. By that logic, when No2 child comes, you can only have half the love for No1.

OT. Indosnm, the last time I was 11 was 42 years ago. I'm glad that things have changed. We weren't playing against adults, but our 15 was selected from about 45 boys, while the schools we played against could select from over 300. At 13-14yo, they had no problem finding 15 with adult physique, especially the Afro-Caribbeans.

Was that in Perth Soub? What school?

How can they actually enforce that passport thing though? If your kids are born here but you are Australian, then you can apply for Aus passport right? The Japanese gov makes you choose at 21. But how can they make you give up your Aus one? Is there any way of checking or enforcing it?

My thoughts exactly Bushpig, I'm sure it can't be enforced. The only problem I can see is if you do what I do, which is to enter and leave Oz with my blue passport and Europe with my red one. The stamps don't match.

I only did primary school in Oz, Cottesloe. At that time in the UK they were switching from the post war Grammar/Secondary modern system to monster comprehensive schools. I attended (briefly) a Secondary Modern, but most of the other rugby playing schools in the area were in a neighbouring authority, and they were comprehensive. I have played rugby at Rugby, and Rugby at rugby \:\)

Sorry Off topic! Can understand a certain amount of angst toward rugby after being forced to play Soubriquet. I play because I enjoy the game, but there are plenty of times when standing in the pissing rain and being yelled at by a sadistic welsh PE teacher that put a dampner on it. Sports should be fun and what you want to do at school, not forced into it for sure. Why is it that all sports teachers are Welsh anyway in England!! lol.gif

On the passport thing I would keep my own British passport also i have been told, and would receive a special permanent visa and passport from Japan, there are some different rules for citizenship if you acquire it through sports representation apparetnly. Not too sure about the whole ins and outs but will have a look.

P.S Daver, started playing a bit for Kubota, but not starting fifteen yet. And its League I`ll be playing for Japan if I am selected.

It used to be a class thing. The toffs learned Union at public school and were amateurs. League was northern working class, and they needed the money.

In Oz it used to be the same although League is bigger than Union. Rugby is traditionally confined to NSW and Queensland with AFL in the other states. AFL is the big one. Football is referred to a wogball because it was played by non-Anglos (wogs).

I don't there is any hatred attached to any of this, just the normal Aussie sledging.

hate is a strong word man.

i suppose it depends on how you want to use hate. hate as in the way i hate nato? maybe

hate as in the way the taliban hates the infidels? not likely.

There has been some stuff in the Australian about dual citizenship holders being bi-polar and guff about loyalty to one country or another. A load of rusbbish but I can see why the authorities in some countries don't like it. Having two passports enables people to navigate the bureaucracy of internaitonal travel and work with a greater degree of ease than the polies prefer.

• 4 months later...

Debito has some valid ideas & useful info on his site but he is also a bit of a one-man campaign to change Japan. I think he wanted to change his nationality to prove a point, rather than to benefit from being a Japanese passport holder.

I don't think I've ever heard of a case where a foriegner that became naturalized was happy with their decision. I'm not sure on the rule of law but otaku guy above says you are obligated but not required to change your name (or something to that effect). To me that is just completely silly and racist. Sumo dudes are required to get new names, I think. Why? Ichiro didn't have to become Mr. Smith, Nakata didn't change into Mr. Juliani..but Chad Rowen became Akebono out of requirement if he wanted to be employed. what's whith the name change thing? When I married my wife her father said it was time for my name to change to his surname. When I stopped laughing I politely denied his request.