Have any of you gaijin out there "become Japanese", in an official sense?

I was listening to something on the radio last night and they were discussing changing nationalities and why people would want to do it and I found the discussion quite interesting.

I wouldn't want to simply for the reason that it would become much harder to return to my country for any period of time longer than the 3 month holiday visa would allow. As long as I could get a permanent visa I'd be happy with that. What kind of reasons for doing it were they giving?

If you are living in Japan permenantly with no intention to ever go back to your birth country, then you may want to pick up Japanese nationality in order to vote, get a mortgage easier etc.

Bobby12, I would suspect that most foreigners here would at least like the idea of being able to easily come and go from their home country even if they stay for life. Voting rights, fair enough. But that wouldn't be a determining factor for me. As for mortgages, well they can be gotten easily enough. Especially if you are a permanent visa holder.

Yeah Im not really sure why he decided to become 100% Japanese.

Reading through his site (as I have spent all day doing instead of working) he seems bit of an otaku, although a lot of the information he gives is invaluable (if overly wordy).

i know this is a little off topic, but kinda not. when becoming a japanese citizen, one must give up their passport.

how then, was alberto kenya fujimori able to be the peruvian president, and yet retain his japanese citizenship? does that not seem like a little bit of a contradiction?

What's the point? Coming from a decent contry like Oz why the hell would you give up being Aussie (or other nationalities)

I have a permanent visa now and get pretty much anything I need. Mortgages etc.

If I gave up my Oz passport and became "Japanese" I don't think the treatment would be any different ( unless I got plastic surgery to look like a japanese).

If a person is coming froma nother country where it's so damn terrible to live, then maybe it might be the right choice for them. Plenty of people go to OZ and give up their apssports to become aussies. My wife has the option to do that when we go back to OZ, but again, when she comes here she'll be a gaijin so again, whats the point?

well, if you're trying to dodge a draft/compulsory military service in your home country, or you want to play for the Japan national soccer team then becoming japanese is a good idea. To me, giving up my nationality to become a permanent gaijin in the eyes of japanese is unthinkable

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
To me, giving up my nationality to become a permanent gaijin in the eyes of japanese is unthinkable
thats because the ones who leave the country and work in a foreign country never wanna return home here and work...they know how F'ed the system is ;\)

I have been selected for the national Japan Rugby League team and 7`s team here this year and recently went on tour and played a test in Australia. I had to have lived here a minimum of three years to qualify, this September we have games in Jamaica to qualify for the 2008 World Cup. If we do qualify and I am selected for the squad I will be able to gain Japanese citizenship through it. However I do have the option to retain my own pasport etc, just means i can never play for my own country at rugby again, (not that that will be much of an issue I don`t think!!)

Presumably though Farquah, you would always qualify for citizenship in your home country, even if you gave it up. If the Rugby gods smiled, (as they do) after playing for Japan and having received Japanese citizenship, if you were to give up Japanese citizenship would you be them be eligible to play for your home country again?

The UK allows dual citizenship, so they don't care if you hold a Japanese passport. Oz used to be the same, so as the old rules apply to me, I have both. I'd never give them up to become a Japanese citizen. A permanent resident visa would be nice though.

Originally posted by farquah:

[QB] I have been selected for the national Japan Rugby League team and 7`s team here this year and recently went on tour and played a test in Australia. I had to have lived here a minimum of three years to qualify, this September we have games in Jamaica to qualify for the 2008 World Cup.

no kidding man?!!? that's awesome. that is a great achievement despite it being for japan and not your home country. (which is?) what club do you play for here?

You're right, daver, congrats farquah.

I have mixed feelings about Rugby. The injury I took in a collapsed scrum playing hooker in the school team aged 11 is still with me. Today I paid 3500 Yen to get my back straightened. That's 42 years of chronic back pain. Take care.

a South African mate of mine said that there used to be (not sure if it has changed) a number of deaths due to broken necks in collapsed scrums every year in S.A.! Particularly amongst school-aged kids.