• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've got to say that I like the aussie away jerseys better than the home. but then, I generally don't like any of the nike jerseys.

Even worse are the puma jerseys that seem to retain sweat and stick to the players!

no other goalie has been tested as much this world cup. take him out and japan is totally done in game 1 loosing by a mile.

France are just plain old.

Auz is in trouble if kwell (spelling) is out. he mouthed off to the ref in true auzzie fashion and has been reported.

Spains playing well but i think that they will choke they always do.

yeah he really let rip! What an idiot! The refs were a bit heavy-handed on Aus for the foul count though while going easy on Brazil. Aus have a rep of being too rough, which is a hng-over from the Aus soccer team of old and not entirely justified these days (sure they are a physical side, but not an unfairly dirty side). Seems the ref had this in mind while officiating that match, which is what Kewell went off about.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
i've got to say that I like the aussie away jerseys better than the home. but then, I generally don't like any of the nike jerseys.

Even worse are the puma jerseys that seem to retain sweat and stick to the players!
Are you from the fashion police? ;\)

Actually while watching the Togo game last night I was going to post about those Puma shirts, but I couldnt be bothered.

What I was going to say, was that the Togo player's shirts were really wrinkly. Im 100% sure that they had just bunged the shirts from the previous game into a washing machine, then hung them out to dry and not bothered to iron them. They were a proper state! It will be replayed tonight - watch it and look closely at their shirts while they do the national anthem.

On top of that, the Togo manager is well dodgy. He looks a gay version of Del Boy from Only Fools and Horses.

The media seem to be talking up the Japan teams chances against Brazil something bad right now - they 'only need 2 clear goals on Brazil'. You think they'd learn.

Anyone staying up for England tonight?

Hey all

The World Cup has been an absolute blast this year. Although I haven't made it to a game, I've had so much fun watching games with the locals in the city I live in (Weiden id OPf). There is definitely a noticeable difference between the WC here in Germany compared to when it was in Japan. The entire country, from the biggest city to the smallest village, is completely in to this tournament. The Germans went absolutely bonkers the other night when they won in stopage time. I was kept up until 3am which made getting up at 6am for work rather difficult!

This past Saturday I went to Nurnberg for a day trip and to check out the WC festivities. It just happened that Croatia and Japan were playing the next day there. I had a lot of fun talking with some of the many, many Japanese tourists and supporters in Nurnberg. The Croatians were more in to getting drunk by noon while the Japanese were taking in the sites. However, there were some early Japanese revelers and they looked to be having a great time with some of the Croatian fans.

CroatsandJapanesepartyingtogether.jpg

Japanesefans.jpg

Even the gnomes were posing for pictures Japanese-stylee!

GnomefromMuseum.jpg

I can't believe this is still in fashion

Gladtoseethisstyleisstillinfashion.jpg

A fantastic WC so far! I'm leaving work early today to BBQ with my German neighbors and their friends and watch the Germany game. If they win, I hope it's a tad quieter than last time but somehow I doubt it!

Next, the US just needs to beat Ghana on Thursday and Italy needs to whoop the Czechs for the US to advance.

Good times indeed!

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
England will beat Germany in the next round. They will get much quieter then ;\)
LOL - I hope so! I don't get 50 holidays a year like the Germans so it's important I get my work-week sleep!

This is what it was like when Germany won last week. Pictures taken from my upstairs neighbors balcony.

Revelers4-forweb.jpg

Revelers2-forweb.jpg
(This is a great pic at it's original size of 42"x38" ;\) )

Carsbackedup-forweb.jpg
The girl's shirt said "Not everything is flat in HOLLAND" \:\) PS - all of these cars were honking and people were screaming for about 3 hours after the game was over. They just kept driving by and driving by and....... I was really wishing I had a paintball gun by 1am......
 Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
I generally don't like any of the nike jerseys.
Awesome jerseys ( to wear anyway) One of the rare hisrts I can wear here without massive sweat patches.. (and even better to wear here since we killed em!)

Kewell got off, great news for OZ..

I was up like a loyal soldier at 4am to watch it.

Pretty decent game, we were all over them in the first half but they got their act together bigtime in the 2nd half and we were on the ropes a bit.

Owen was strechered off early, the commentators didnt talk about it at all in the 2nd half so I have no idea how serious that was. But it looked like just a twist, I think he will be OK.

Rooney had another tantrum when he was subbed - I noticed that wasnt shown on the highlights this morning which is lucky for him, I hope they dont make it into a big deal. He needs to grow up a bit though.

I have no idea why Walcott didnt come on for Rooney. Im sure Erikson had no intention of ever playing the guy, which confirms my suspicions he was included in the squad purely as spin doctoring to divert attention from the Scholari affair at the time. He must be kacking his pants now that Owen is injured - we only have rooney/crouch left now so if one of them takes a knock Walcott will have to come on. that would be a very interesting thing to see - whether he rises to the challenge or is a total disaster.

I got up too. Decent first half but not too decent 2nd half.

Quote:
So did England look like a WC winning team this morning then, sleepyheads?
Not at all.

\:\(

Well he is better than James. shifty.gif

Joe Cole is playing so good right now glad we have him.

Some places are talking about Owen being crocked for quite a few months.

Yep Joe Cole was my tip to be a massive star before this tournie began. He is always awesome for England. I think a lot of it is that Beckham is out on the opposite wing, but he cannot dribble for toffee so we are tending to make all our moves down the left side - the result: Joe Cole is on the ball a lot more. Its almost like Becks is only in the team to take the deadballs (by the way he was unusually crap at those yesterday).

It sounds like Owen is out of the tournie, from the quotes Ive read from Beckham etc.

Its going to be hilarious when Crouch or Rooney gets a knock, and little old 17 year Walcott comes on. The guy hasnt even played premiership level football, never mind international football, never mind world cup football, never mind last 16 world cup! He will probably puke as he comes on the pitch. If Erikson is lucky crouch/rooney will survive with no knocks, but if not this decision to bring Walcott is going to be quite embarassing for him.

Mr Cole was looking good. And indeedy Mr Beckham was having a bit of a mare with his kicks.

I don't know much (modest aren't I?) but I think they should have given this Walcott bloke a try last night.

I reckon they should have played walcott at least for 5 mins in any of the games. At least give him a feel for the level of competition. If he doesn't played a minute in the wc then what was the point of bringing him???

He really is a wasted spot by Erickson. Hell, erickson should have taken me! I've never played in the premiership either :p

Up to 5 months they are saying this morning.

QUESTION

Do football players get paid for taking part in the World Cup? And if so, who pays them? (And do they still get wages from their club during that time?)

I know lots of teams get bonuses if they win and the like, but not everyone wins! \:\)

Someone asked me that last night and I realised I did not know.