It wasn't the most inspiring of games was it. How did Equador get there by the way? (How did ENGLAND get there?!)

Perhaps this time round England have that extra needed ingredient with them that always seems to be out of their reach - luck!

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lennon seems full of life when he comes on, doesn't he? It seemed to me they were asking too much of Rooney up there on himself. And what has happened to Lampard & Terry? Didn't they used to be a really great players?

confused.gif

Part of me wants Lennon to start but Becks is the captain and he does pick up big goals from time to time. Id like to see Lennon on a bit more around the 60th minute though.

What is the deal with Downing, he must be McLarens bum-chum.

Lampard is looking poor isnt he, but he is class, gotta give him another chance.

Hopefully they have been saving up their power and will belt Scholari 5-0.

But Becks hasn't given us a free kick like that for about 3 years before last night. He can come up with the goods but isn't really right now - give Lennon a chance. Don't think it will happen, but...

And Lampard has had 4 games now with nothing to show but a mountain of lost chances.

agree witht the universal statement that it was a wee bit slow last night, annoyingly so! So mnay missed chances, did look as though Cole (I think) got a bit of an elbow in the back in the box going up to nod it in, in first half, could have changed the game a bit.

Read that Beckham was actually ill before and during the game, sick on the pitch. Obviuosly not a great performance but I wouldn`t drop him for Portugal, out of big match experiance more than anything. Lenon looked good for the 10 mins he was on but still only 19.

Dissapointed with Lampards missed chances, more a rugby conversion than a shot at goal it seemed!

Yet again Scolari is up, bet Eriksson is chuffed!! :p

If Beckham wasn't well, how come he felt it was ok to not tell his manager/coach and go out there and proceed to play totally ineffectively 98% of the time (apart from the goal of course)?

wakaranai.gif

Good stuff on the Guardian

Quote:
They have now produced 360 minutes of football without suggesting for more than a moment that they belong in the same tournament as Argentina, Germany, Brazil, Ghana, Holland and Australia. Those teams have all shown, either consistently or in extended bursts, the ability to play football that depends on accuracy, imagination and teamwork
 Quote:
Rooney's contribution, like David Beckham's free-kick, belonged to another match altogether. The desultory football from both sides matched the sultry afternoon, and the lack of urgency combined with the torrent of banal errors to try the patience of the 52,000 crowd. Long before the end England were indulging in habits that should be beneath their consideration, with Paul Robinson and Jamie Carragher booked for wasting time and Gerrard taking the ball to the corner flag to use up precious seconds in which, apparently, they had no desire to play football. This is so far out of keeping with the overall tone of the competition as to be thoroughly embarrassing to the coach, the players and the FA.
Couldn't agree more.

becks on the bench might be a good plan. England is loaded with talent so it might free things up. Its hard to keep a guy that can score one free kicks like him off the pitch tough. the problem is that te english players arent moving to the ball at all.

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
Good stuff on the Guardian
 Quote:
They have now produced 360 minutes of football without suggesting for more than a moment that they belong in the same tournament as Argentina, Germany, Brazil, Ghana, Holland and Australia
Love it!

Any Aussies eating spaghetti for dinner?

A sad state of affairs, is it not?

But remember the good point here though - we're in the 1/4 finals.

So the cunning plan of exploding into greatness starts on Saturday.

Anyone see the Portugal vs Netherlands game.

Talk about the opposite of a "friendly". Something like 16 yellows and 4 reds!

Fun to watch.

Which is more than can be said for the England games of course.

just finished watching the portugal game... super fun game to watch. Lots of chances and lots of tempers! Nice thumbsup.gif

I want to sue England for wasting an hour of my life last night, that's for sure! thumbsdown.gif

Portugal-Netherlands was interesting. It almost was a mixture of American football, after every 10 seconds a freekick, and icehockey, pushing and shoving and small fights during the whole game. Too bad Portugal scored.

It should have been 5 reds. figo only got yellow after he gave someone a headbutt.

England in current state will have a change to portugal in their state because most of the Potugese already have a yellow and 2 good players are benched. Mainly Deco will be missed in the Potugal team.

****in robbed!! mad.gif did anyone see that penalty given against Australia in the last minute of lost time?? Shit! The ref made a bad call there! Australia were the dominant side in that game, and for the ref to give a penalty there is just a travesty! That was about as soft as they come! Well done Aus! Played brilliantly!

Yeah, felt abit ripped orff with that one.. Damn they dominated the match but yet again failed to score. Well done to the boys for making it this far.. Spewing that they had to lose it like that..

I'm boycotting fettuchini until further notice!

hmmm the red card was also a bad call from the ref, and as an impartial spectator I dont know if any team was dominant, it was pretty even stevens to me and Australia had one more man in the second half.

Italy 7 shots on target to Australias 4.

Australia had 58% of the possesion but didnt do enough with it. Viduka was nullified and only Bresciano looked dangerous.

"Australia just aren't threatening enough at the moment - I think they've got to get the big lad Josh Kennedy on to give them something extra up front.

Chris Waddle" shame Hiddink couldnt hear him.

Lots of sad Aussies at the bar tonight.