• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rooneys recovery timetable

MAY 7: Manchester United’s final match of the season at home to Charlton.

MAY 8: Sven Goran Eriksson picks his provisional squad for the World Cup — with possibly as many as 27 players.

MAY 13 (two weeks after injury): Rooney should be doing soft impact exercises like swimming but no running. And he must take plenty of rest days in between.

MAY 15: England boss Eriksson must officially submit his finalised 23-man World Cup squad to FIFA.

MAY 27: Earliest date Rooney’s broken bone could be healed.

MAY 30: England v Hungary (friendly at Old Trafford).

JUNE 3: England v Jamaica (friendly at Old Trafford). Rooney should be able to step up exercises to another level.

JUNE 8: FIFA’s deadline for last-minute changes to squad due to injuries.

JUNE 9: World Cup starts in Germany.

JUNE 10: England v Paraguay (Frankfurt). Latest date Rooney’s bone should be healed.

JUNE 15: England v Trinidad & Tobago (Nuremberg).

JUNE 17: Projected date for Rooney to be back playing.

JUNE 20: England v Sweden (Cologne).

Well, we played shite last night without Rooney. I think Ruud is off this summer.

Fergie is getting tougher in his words

"We will do our best to get the boy to Germany but it will be us who will be doing the consulting," warned Ferguson when asked whether he would discuss the situation with Eriksson before deciding on a course of action.

We will do our best to get the boy to Germany but if he is not fit, he is not going to go."

True.

Just in:

England will be allowed to replace Wayne Rooney in their World Cup squad up until 24 hours before their opening match against Paraguay on 10 June.

Fifa confirmed that their regulations allow for a player to be substituted provided the governing body is supplied with evidence of serious injury.

If a replacement is called up Rooney would take no part in the tournament.

5 man midfield with Cole / Gerrard / King / Lampard / Beckham behind Owen as lone striker. Bring on Crouch if its not working. Thats what I would play!

Agree, that is probably the best option if Rooney is not there. Let's just hope Owen can get back to fitness, remember that doesn't look 100% either shifty.gif

Owen will be ok, plenty of time for him I reckon.

Looks like McLaren is gonna get the England position. Not a bad decision I think.

Who are the most hardcore fans?

England?

I'm looking forward to it. All of the games on free on Sky Perfect (well, as long as you're signed up in the first place).

Ultimately United do have a say I think. From f365

"Anyone who thinks that Sven will be able to gamble on taking a half-fit Wayne Rooney to Germany is sorely mistaken. The decision will be Manchester United's, and they simply will not let him go if there's any chance that he could aggravate his injury and leave them deprived of their best player.

Four years ago David Beckham went to the World Cup when he wasn't close to being fully fit and I don't think United will allow that to happen again. They are the ones who have made a massive financial investment in Rooney and they will be the ones to make a decision. Of course they will do all they can to get him healthy, but they certainly won't take any chances that could see Rooney miss the start of next season."

Quote:
Originally posted by fukdane:
Who are the most hardcore fans?
England?
Dunno what hardcore means, but England brought by far the most fans to Japan the last time. England being many Japanese fans second team made it a bit of an England love-in.

This year was the first time I've been home before the World Cup since 1990, and it's really changed. There is loads of WC stuff in the shops. It's like the new Christmas.

Thoughts on the "mad" England team "mad Sven" has chosen?

I like the way 365 put it --- "Sven-Goran Eriksson has named a brilliantly mental squad - Aaron Lennon and Theo Walcott are there and there is no place for Jermain Defoe or Shaun Wright-Phillips. So we have two injured strikers, one who's never played in the Premiership. And Crouch."

lol.gif

Hardly even heard of this Walcott bloke, though know Lennon. I wonder if SWP is now regretting his silly move to Chelsea.

Taking Walcott is a throw of the dice, but two fit strikers when you've got three left mids (Cole, Downing, Lennon), one sulky waste of time who can't get a game (Sol), and Owen Hargreaves who is yet to produce anything for England is foolish. With no SWP, its Beckham for 90 minutes every game. The squad is unbalanced and has too many unfit or barely fit players.

France won with no strikers, so it can be done. What we need is Gerrard to put in a Zidane '98 type performance. He's going in on great form, but the pressure is really on him now.

I wonder if this will look like a touch of genius after the World Cup. Or perhaps more likely a BagOfRubbish.

Walcott looks good, but..... confused.gif

Quote:
"I've seen him perhaps three times in training," said Eriksson. "At Arsenal training on Saturday I saw him play 11 against 11 on a half pitch.
shifty.gif

I think France had Theirry Henry and Trezeguet up front in 98?

I cant see Sol playing, itll be JT and Ferdinand, or maybe even Woodgate. All the pundits and critics in the UK have been biting their tongue about Sol, but you can tell they think he has been very poor lately.

He's (Sol) not had much action has he lately? (Though neither has little Micky). Never heard of this Walcott chap before reading he was part of the team. I thought Defoe would be in.

Having said that, I'm no expert. Not like Sven.