I was in an onsen last weekend and this guy (Japanese) walked in - almost half his body covered in onsen.

Most people were checking him out. I asked my Japanese friend whether tattoos were officially "allowed" and he said no they weren't allowed but as more Japanese get them (?) that is being overlooked.

Impressive looking thing it was. He looked a right fool though (as does everyone who has a tattoo imho).

Some years back - let's say 10 years - I often found some small description which said " no tattoes allowed " in onsens but nowadays seldom find them wherever I go.

If you had big tattoes which are entire your back etc, probably you had better cover them when you get in an onsen not to scare other ppl off. But no idea how if it were entire your back size.....

The tattoo(IREZUMI,”刺青”) of less than 18 years old is forbidden by the law of Japan, which are mostly witten in the Juvenile Protection Ordinance of each local government. Some laywers tell the medical treatment on ones less than 20 years may violate another Japan law. Anyway, the tattoo of 20 or above 20 years is not illegal in Japan.

Untill about the end of Edo era (1868), the tattoo had been a recognized culture in Japan. You may know of the name of "Tohyama no Kin-san", a famous deputy official in Edo era who had SAKURA FUBUKI tatoo on his shoulder and back. However the culture was getting to be detested in middle/higher societies after Meiji era. We saw some IREZUMI men in public bathes in 1950's. In 1970's, IREZUMI men were rare except gang society. Then, we have seen the notices of "Shutout of IREZUME persons" on doors of public bathes, pachinko parlars, discos, bars and restaurants since 1980's. Entering 1990's, we have seen some young people pasting small IREZUMI stickers (not the real tatoo) on their wrists, arms, chests or another parts of bodies. But the real tatoo is a taboo item in Japan middle/high sociteis NOW.

I saw a guy once that had a half-body tattoo thing going on. Looked pretty gruesome actually but he was obviously proud of it.... got a lot of looks in the bath,.

I often see alot of Yak in a local onsen on sunday's having the "Family" bath.

It seems to intimidate alot of people. Not me, it has actually been a conversation starter and I have even been given the green light for an "introduction" for when I want to get my Tatt done.

Nice guys if you're on the right side of them!

I got my tattoo finally about 3 months ago. I put in a bit of thought into it, and decided to get it around my bellybutton for various reasons. One of them being is that i can hide the tatty with my towel when i get in and out of the onsen.

But i've seen japanese people with tattoos in some onsens too, including full-on yakuza-style ones.

This is a famous design of combining four kanji letters "吾唯知足". It reads Ware-Tada-Taru-O-Shiru in Japanese. (Ware=I, Tada=Only, O=to be, Taru=Contented, Shiru=Learn.) So, it means that "I learn only to be contented". The phrase comes from Han-Nya-Shin-Kyo "般若心経", a scripture of Buddhism.

You must be satisfied perfectly when you do not want to have new ski gears. Are you satisfied ?

well, i did the calligraphy with a brush on paper beforehand. But the tattoo gun sure didn't tickle my bellybutton...

I really like the meaning, and the fact that the kanji are pretty far from perfect. Just like me! \:D

• 3 weeks later...

I was in an onsen recently and a J-dude with a full upper body tattoo came in. Very colourful. Had he not been a naked stranger I might have taken a closer look.

It was just the 2 of us but he certainly didn't have a problem being in there

What do my japanese friends think about it? I don't show it to everyone, but most of them don't get why i would bother to get it put into my skin.

maybe one reason is because its not a piece of "flash", a tat just to show off.

Of course, most of them do't understand why i don't eat meat or hate j-pop either.

Quote:
Of course, most of them do't understand why i don't eat meat or hate j-pop either.
With respect, some might not understand how you can compare eating meat and liking a type of music to permenantly marking your body...

Funny how tattoos are such a big deal here in some peoples eyes, especially now that so many young people have them. They're so common at home now that just about everyone has them. I'm glad I never got any even though I think a lot of them look really good.

the rule goes way back. at one point in time it was only the yakuza that had them. now that more people are getting them its not a big issue. the guys with the big tats on their backs dont bug me but.. I dont really respect those people cause they are either yaks or want to be a bit like a yak. I have no respect for those people as they have no respect for others.

rules in this country change as fast as molasses :rolleyes: The whole tattoo thing is just stoopid. Sure back in the day twas only Yaks who had tattoos but nowadays maaaaaany peeps have em. Who cares?

Went to a sporting club to see bout a membership and in bold letters it says people with tattoos are not allowed to become members :rolleyes: I asked why and the lady said it was because many gangsters and scary people have them which would scare away their clientel :rolleyes: Surely Im not a scary gangster was my reply and she just stood there without a response (I dont have a tattoo by the way). Just wanted to see their response.

I know a few yaks who have some really intricate and beautiful tattoos.

Fair enough EIV, my point is that as foreigners we never get treated the same (but, do we actually want to??? wakaranai.gif ;\) ) yet when it comes to some things, such as dangerous gaijin being compared to Yakuza because some have Tattoos, it just sounds silly to me ya know?