I was just reading that Niseko thread and an opinion someone wrote there about "being the only gaijin in town". I think even if there are lots of gaijin around you will still be noticed a lot but here in the country where there aren't many, wherever you go people are looking to a greater or lesser degree. It makes me uncomfortable. One of my friends though laps it up and loves being the center of attention and "being famous".

How about you - are you the "don't want publicity and just want to get on with it" type or the kind who wants to be "famous"?

Depends on who the fans are but generally it's a bad thing. I used to live in Saga when I was on JET and got my fair share of fame in the inaka schools. Students used to come up to me and tell me what their grandmother's neighbour had seen me buying for lunch.

I sometimes do that without knowing.

And I never hear about it at all on any grapevine \:\(

I'm not sure I'd like as much of the kind of attention that countryside gaijin folk seem to get over there.

Neither do I if people put curious eyes on me for long time not talking any.

When I traveled around Europe in my uni days, I sometimes got the situation in some countryside where asians seldom visited e.g. at Monte-Frio Tocon in a surberb of Granada Spain.

I knew people would like to ask me a lot but I didn't speak Spanish good and of course they didnt speak Japanese at all. And a lot often I was asked if I were from China.

I said I was from Japan but some people didn't know where Japan was or maybe they didn't know Japan!?

lol.gif

I'm sure you are outstanding if you walked around with the inoshishi looking.

lol.gif

its wearing a bit thin for me too. especially if i just want to do a bit of shopping and muse over stuff, but i know im on show and feel a bit pressured. or if im feeling like a bit of a crubblet and just want to crub around out of the limelight.

however if i am in the mood sometimes, its nice to lap it up.

crubblet! what a great word! don't really enjoy being the only whitey in this 1-whitey town, but i'm pretty used to it by now. it'll be nice to go home for a visit and just blend in for sure though!

There is american guy in my small village in Yamanashi teaching in school and he is very famous in our village! Everybody know about him and report on what they see him doing and where he is. I hear he likes the attention!