Hello. It's getting spring isn't it now.

I have a friend who has a friend whos hair is very big dreadlocks. They are very thick and looks (I can't think of better word) interesting!

I want to know how do they keep it clean? It doesn't look clean I think. Almost scary.

\:\)

I had a guy in an economics class in Uni that hadn't cut his hair in 15 years. His dreads were the envy of any rasta man. But you could smell them from across the room! His beard had dreads too.

I hear when you start off growing them they are almost unbearably itchy.

Dreads have their own smell. Can't describe it but when you get used to it, it's not that bad. But it's a completely unique smell. I don't know but you can probably buy an incense titled "dread locks" someplace...??

I can't really see any positives about them myself either they are a real turn off and eww-y.

I would like to touch and smell some though (just the once!)

I remember helping to brush out a mates dreadlocks he had for about 2 years. It took a few bottles of conditioner and a lot of pain but we got the bastards out. Ended up with a huge pile of hair on the floor. The shit that came out of them as well, twigs, bits of seaweed (we did a lot of surfing at the time), it was like a bird's nest in there. He had the fuzziest head of head for a while a well. Looked bloody funny!

i think only a few people can really pull them off. i really like them if they're clean and well-kept but you don't see that too often.

on a more disgusting note, my sister's roommate has had them for about 6 years, washes between them and everything and is not any dirtier than the next person. however, she recently got a killer case of lice! needless to say she couldn't exactly brush out the eggs, so she had to shave her head.

apparently her dreads were literally crawling (or hopping i suppose) with lice on the floor of the hairdresser's.

yuck!

What possesses people to want that?

And what makes some dreadlocks well-kept and others not?

I've never actually got close to a person with dreadlocks but I do find it all quite curious.