Now I see a dentist. Yesterday he pulled one of my tooth out coz he said no other choice. Actually he had tried to repair it but finally decided to pull it out.

When I see a doctor, usually I try to endure any pain chewing hard. When I got injured my index finger by my snowblower some years back, the doctor stiched it 5 and i chewed my upper teeth and lower teeth hard to endure the pain coz anesthesia didn't work.

But if it's dentist....... I can't do that!

And I really don't like the noise the teeth shaving machine make!!

How does everyone endure the pain when you see a dentist?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teeth shaving machine! Great! I think you might mean "drill" there gamera. I hate them too. Why can't there by a silent gizmo that does the same.

I clench my fists and think of fun things, and unavoidably tense up really bad.

I do pretty much the same -20.7. My dentist keeps a a flat screen tv in front of her patients with scenes of waterfalls or trickling streems with flowers, etc. to take your mind off what she's doing to you.

i friggin hate everything about the dentist. i can smack off pavement skateboarding, fall on the hill and be fine (well, relatively) but i HATE the uncomfortable pain of someone poking and prodding (at the very least) my mouth.

i usually just close my eyes, clench fists etc. but my new dentist also has a flat screen tv which is nice.

Back from the dentist!

Quote:
Originally posted by -20.7:

Teeth shaving machine! Great! I think you might mean "drill" there gamera.

Ahhh does "drill" work for it? Didn't know that, thanks for the eigo lesson. \:\)

Hum... have never seen that flat screen thing yet. Does it calm your pain when you watch the screen while the "drill" is at work?

If they told their patients that on the way out they'd get a small chunk of cheese, it would make the experience much better for everyone. Patients would be looking forward to that cheese and not be as nervous.

(If they have a numb mouth though they may wait to eat the cheese.)

I go once a year when I go back to the UK. And the dentist I go to just has a radio as well. He is pretty good though usually he seems to numb me up just right so I can't feel much at all. The noise of those drills is a big part of the problem.

I must be a masochist then. I enjoy my visits to the dentist and don't mind that drilling noise. Actually, for me, it's more of a cost/benefit analysis. I figure 20 minutes of pain or uncomfort today will save me a great deal sometime down the road.

You enjoy them?

I can't do that, they give me the shakes. I once went to a dentist and I'm sure he was enjoying giving me pain. It hurt so bad. Changed after that to a much less painful dentist.

Fund one of the best dentist I've been to in Sapporo. No pain, real high tech office and lots of nice looking assistants. No more waitng to go home to go to the dentist.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
I had my wisdom teeth extracted nearly 10 years ago. Oddly, they are now growing back! I'm going to have to go through that process again.
That's really strange. Never heard of that before.

I doubt that it's possible. The drill is actually a grinder. Every time a cutter makes contact with your tooth, a vibration is transmitted from your jaw straight to your ears. These are high-speed drills, so there are a lot of vibrations. The water that sprays about cools the bit and clears the rubbish.

I remember my first visit to the dentist. No anaesthetics in thhose days. The drill was low-speed, powered by treadle. Painful and slow.

The thing I hate about dentists the most is just how expensive they are.

There seems to be no such thing as a "price list". They seem to charge what they want.

In for a checkup, and clean the teeth? 5 minutes, that'll be 20 quid please. Then come back the next week for a difficult filling, takes 15 minutes, another 40 quid please. Thank you.

Yes! Last time I went to the dentist it was because one of my fillings fell out - he charged me $195 for a new one - which was about $50 than the original filling (which he only put in six months prior).