Do we have any goths here? Or people like me who might have been goths at one point.

Just read an article on Guardian

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1735690,00.html

It sure brought back a lot of memories.

At college I was really into the goth scene... Sisters, The Mission, Fields of the Neph. I fondly remember my 'disarmingly pointy boots' as well. lol.gif

I wonder, what music are goths into nowadays. Surely not still waiting for the next Sisters album.

Was it pretty much a UK scene or were there big goth communities in other places?

"Goths are like masons," I have been told. "They're everywhere."

lol.gif

Never been a goth myself but their are lots of them where I live. They have a rather irritating habit of gathering in the town centre in a group of about 30, in the same spot and doing absolutely nothing all day. Not really your classic goth though, they are more of a mish mash of goth (wearing almost entirely black + makeup) punk (The more extreme hairdo's plus doc martins) and grunge (there is always at least 4 wearing the exact same nirvana hoody)

I expect they generally intimidate/irritate most people down town at weekends but that is probably the point. It would be nice if goth lolita took off a bit. At least that would be a bit of variation and would show a bit of originality within my town. Might freak out people even more though.

They were a reasonably visible group in my town, and my mates sister and her boyfriend were fully into the scene. I still remember the first time I saw him come out of her room fully decked out with makeup. I just about pissed my pants! Hehe.

Don't laugh. Are Nine Inch Nails a modern goth type outfit?

I quite liked some of the goth type music back then, not sure what I'd think of it now.

I was never a real goth but I used to wear a lot of black and like some of that music. I still do wear a lot of black actually (best colour!) Can't go much wrong with black \:\)

I had some real full on goth friends though. One friend in particular looked quite spooky when she transformed from the pretty girl she was into this goth monster.

ah yes, that old bauhaus classic still sends shivers up my spine... it was used so effectively in the vampire film, "the hunger". nobody ever made a gothier song - it sounded like it was recorded in draculas castle!

i reckon teenagers will always be drawn towards that exploration of their darker side, so goth will always be around in some form.

where i spent my "formative" years in brisbane, queensland, goths were called "swampies". i was a bit of a swampie, but i was only 16 & wasnt into the make-up or anything... living in the southern burbs, i was lucky i was never bashed, cruising around in my tight black jeans, pointy boots & black spikey hair!

there were quite a lot of swampies in brisbane back then (late 80s). favourite club was called "morticias". i still listen to a bit of bauhaus & early cure, the jesus & mary chain, etc... some good tunes from that era.

How can you have goths in Australia? It's far too warm!

I never was one, but I can play the intro to Temple of Love on the guitar. I've got a soft spot for the Cult, Bradford's own Red Indians, but more in their Rick Rubin Rockout period.

Many modern "electroclash" records sound like "The Walk" by the Cure, except not as good.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
How can you have goths in Australia? It's far too warm!
i know! people do it though. you can be goth in shorts, it just takes some imagination.

thanks for reminding me about the cult. i gotta get some more old cult tunes. they rocked!

i hear ya re. the cure -> electroclash. i think a lot of dance music is derivative of stuff the cure was doing way back.

Goths in Australia must spend a fortune protecting their sallow complexions. You can't stick a hat on all that crimped hair.

Electroclash is basically 80s synth pop, one of many pies the Cure dipped their fingers into. Gary Numan, Soft Cell, Sparks, etc. is the basic model.

The Cult, Bauhaus and various tracks including Cruisers by the Fall and a typical wall of fuzz from Loop are here.

http://www.beggars.com/banquet/index.htm?../home/index.htm&0

Click on the "V" on the red bar at the bottom and then on "VIDEO ARCHIVE". For the Cult you have to go through another page.

I don't actually like the goth tag, but if you want some classic goth type rock, try these albums by The Mission

Gods Own Medicine

Carved in Sand

Aura

Aura was only released a few years ago and is a great album, classic Mission sound. Mr Hussey and crew are actually recording a new album this year.

There was a friendship between The Cult and the Mission early on, and even recently Craig Adams (originally Mission) was playing bass in The Cult. The Mish are by far the better of the two though.

It was sad to see Ian Astbury doing the "lead singer of the reformed Doors" gig recently. I don't think so.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard more recent stuff of The Mish.

The Mish were the best gig I've ever been to though. The Hillsborough benefit concert they did in Liverpool after Hillsborough (Hussey is a lifelong Liverpool fan). Very moving it was, rocking gig (...a few too mad Eskimos though!)

Talking of (the brighter side of) goth, my sister has sent me a best of album of All About Eve - never really got into them but this is surprisingly good.