I just read this over at Mainichi and thought I'd share it. Some people are just (desperate) idiots.

Courting costs during the heady days of Japan's economic bubble in the Eighties were known for being notoriously high. While guys weren't expected to foot as much when business turned bad in the Nineties, the Noughties have seen steady improvement in trade. Now, Spa! (3/28) says, despite almost a decade of deflation, men are now paying more for presents they lavish on ladies when going out on dates than they did when it seemed the world's economy was about to be overtaken by the Japanese juggernaut almost two decades ago.

"I had to buy four Bulgari watches costing 100,000 yen apiece for four different women," says Yuichi Suzuki, a self-confessed Cassanova who buys women presents in the hope they'll overlook the fact he's married and sleep with him anyhow. Suzuki tells Spa! that he spends an average of 100,000 yen for each attempt at seducing a woman. Considering he has a success rate of about 1 in 10, it costs him around 1 million yen to get laid. "I take them out on 'seduction' dates about twice a month. Then, every time I get to go all the way, I take the woman out to dinner. I easily spend 1 million yen a year on wining and dining women. I'm spending 2 million yen a year just to get laid." lol.gif

Where Suzuki feels little guilt about playing around on his wife -- and spending a small fortune doing so -- Eiichi Sawaki is also out of pocket and that's because he buys presents for his girlfriend because he feels really shamefaced about the way he treats her.

I was just reading that as well.

This bit made me laugh:

"Just before any special event, like a birthday or Christmas, my girlfriend brings me a load of magazine clippings. They're ads for things like 80,000-yen Bulgari watches, 100,000-yen Louis Vuitton or Chanel bags and the like," Sakurai says. "Still, I don't mind. I don't want her to feel out of it in her workplace. Besides, the models in the clippings she brings me are always wearing pricier stuff than what she wants. I still reckon I'm lucky."

(The article is here by the way.)

" I'm spending 2 million yen a year just to get laid."

Uhh, given that he says it's 1 million per person who sleeps with him, does that mean it's only twice a year?

Also, I couldn't abide a woman who would want those kinds of presents. The Winston Churchill quote comes to mind... \:\)

Quote:
I had to buy four Bulgari watches costing 100,000 yen apiece for four different women.
He had to buy them? What sort of ladies are they?

By the way, what are dates in Japanese? (You know, the dried fruit version of the word)? I can't remember seeing any, and remember really really liking them.