How often do you wash your hair? Mine gets washed every day. I was surprised to find an (older) friend of mine telling me she washed her hair just once every 5 days or so. I couldn't imagine that.

While we're on hairy subjects.... why does shampoo tangle my hair but conditioner doesn't?

(I'm not very busy today!)

Conditioner contains djinns (invisible spirits) that work very quickly to untangle girls' hair. Unfortunately djinns can also get into their heads and give them strange, irrational ideas.

I wash mine every day. Recently I've grown my hair quite long and it does take a lot of time but I can't imagine not washing it for 5 days?! eek.gif yuck. (Not that I'm dirty or anything you understand!)

heheh, I think my ex must have spent half the day injecting herself with them djinns.

I wash my hair everyday, else it feels 'dirty'. Its just a habit, like showering every morning, that makes me very agitated when it can't be fulfilled.

But I cant use conditioner because it just feels like Ive put oil in my hair or something. Whenever I have used conditioner Ive been stood there for 20mins trying to 'rinse it out' but I think actually its supposed to feel greasy like that.

I remember a conversation between an engineer and some translation ladies at my last company on exactly this subject. The engineer averred that conditioner affects the balance of ions in your hair . Whereas detergents in shampoo make the hairs + and mutually attractive, conditioner makes them - and mutually repellent, or some such sorcery. He was well up on ions and things, knowing a thing or two about Piezoelectric printer heads.

That reminds me of this thing my mum has in her house called an 'ionizer'.

It cost about 50 pounds and it supposedly recharges the ions in the air from negative to positive or some nonsense.

In fact, I am sure it is just an empty black plastic box with a blinking LED on it. It weighs nothing and runs on 2 AA batteries. You can only applaud the inventor of such a contraption.

I know this, I know this!

Here's the deal.

Hair is made of a protein called keratin-san. Keratin-san is itself a chain of amino acid molecules. A high proportion of the amino acids in keratin-san are negatively charged and so perfectly clean hair is negatively charged.

Normal hair is coated with a layer of positively charged oil that results in a neutral charge overall. But when you apply negatively charged detergent in shampoo, this oil layer is stripped away. The mutual repulsion caused by all of the exposed negative charges results in your hair to clump erratically when wet and become flyaway when dry.

Still with me?

Hair conditioner contains positively charged molecules that form weak electrostatic bonds with the negative charges on your hair. This results in a thin layer of conditioner staying behind after you rinse, which in turn leaves your hair electrically neutral and tangle free once more.

Cool, hey?

And some daft bastards try to wash that off because their hair naturally clumps erratically, and that's just the way they expect it to be right?

guzzlers-baps, do you know about djinns too?

I wash my locks every second day too, i have a friend that's a hair dresser & she told me you should leave it up to 3 days to keep the natural oils in it, but who knows... There's so many different beauty tips floating around. Hey how much would you lovely ladies spend on a descent shampoo/conditioner?? Some of my friends spend a motza...

Thanks for the science lesson. (Still don't understand but it sounds cool lol.gif )

Are you accusing me of being irrational there Ocey-babes?