Does anyone else here work with people who drink at work?

There's a boss where we are and he has the whisky in his office and is often taking a sip - and sometimes coming into to work seemingly tanked up. I don't think he does any actual work.

I work with a guy who always has a flask of whiskey in his bag. I don't mind. He does what he needs to do for me so I could care less if he has a sip here and there.

I can understand the drinking a bit at lunchtime but in work hours in the office, all sounds very JR-ish to me.

A few of the older guys where I work sometimes smell of booze even early morning but I think thats because they don't wash as much as anything else!

On the subject of drinking I know a teacher who was caught driving after 1 glass of beer. He got a pay cut, sent to a dead-end school and will never get promoted so I have been told.

They're so strict about drink/driving here and so they should be.

I was talking to a friends father back home last summer and he was going on about how "in his days" (he's 65 now) people used to drive pissed all the time and not think anything of it - everyone did it. There were no laws back them apparently or ones that they enforced anyway.

> There were no laws back them apparently or ones that they enforced anyway.

When I spent time in France in the 80s, I couldn't help but notice that French people would get shitfaced then drive around at top speed. I lost no time in getting with the program. No bones were broken. It was simple joie de vivre and the police appeared not to notice.

Seeing as I like to have a couple with dinner then often work afterwards, I guess I drink at work. When I worked in England, a pint at lunchtime was the norm for weekdays, and maybe 3 on Friday lunchtime.

Japan is an alcohol loving country?

Coz alcohol vending machines here and there?

:p

I personally don't think it's professional if someone smells alcohol at work. Can they work hard when they drink some? I can't maybe because I can not drink much.

No, I can't Bushpig.

A 500ml beer can easily knock me.

Both of my parents used to be "zaru" though.

My face look very red when I have a tiny bit of alcohol, this is what they say lacking of enzyme to dissolve alcohol. I think you often find a lot Japanese people have red faces when they drink alcohol.

I don't think that is a number 1 condition, otherwise I can not join there!

lol.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboard:
They're so strict about drink/driving here and so they should be.
]
You're talking about Japan right Snobee?
If so I'd say not.
They had that new blitz a few years ago where they upped the ante to 300,000 per person in the car with a driver who is over the limit. They have their little "bonus" blitzes just at the start of summer and around the end of the year.
They stick to the same streets and don't stealth you like in OZ so it's really easy to avoid if you want to.
This is just what I see in Nagoya though, I don't know what other cities in Japan are like.

Penalties in the old days were farking ridiculous.
A pissed cu-nt smashed into the back of my parents car kiling my older sister and almost themselves. 9 months that cu-nt got, for taking someones life.

They stick to the same streets and don't stealth you like in OZ so it's really easy to avoid if you want to.

....if you know the deal. In a place you're not familiar with, it's very different. (Obviously). It sure isn't worth the risk here.