"BBC Japan set to close"

BBC Japan? I'd never even heard of it before reading this.

>>

BBC Japan is to close down at the end of April because its Japanese distributor no longer has the financial backing to support the channel.

The TV channel launched in December 2005 and features subtitled BBC shows including My Family and EastEnders.

"We are hoping to announce shortly how BBC Japan's loyal customers will be able to receive the channel in future," said BBC Worldwide's Darren Childs.

Distributor JMC will be unable to transmit the channel after 30 April.

Sorry

BBC Worldwide said it had not been consulted on the decision and that the situation was out of its control.

JMC also told the BBC that the company's shareholders would not be providing any further financial support in the future.

"We extend our sincere apologies to subscribers of the channel who have been inconvenienced by the decision of JMC," said Mr Childs, Managing Director of Global Channels at BBC Worldwide.

The commercial arm of the BBC offers several other TV channels including international entertainment channel BBC Prime, BBC America and BBC Canada.

I hadn't heard from it either, but found this

http://www.bbcjapan.tv/

Today:

12:00 PM DOCTORS

12:30 PM EASTENDERS

01:00 PM FRIENDS FOR DINNER

01:30 PM COXON'S ROYAL FEAST

02:00 PM 10 YEARS YOUNGER

02:30 PM NEW TRICKS (Ja)

03:30 PM TWEENIES

03:50 PM ANDY PANDY

04:00 PM CAVEGIRL

04:25 PM FAWLTY TOWERS (Ja)

05:00 PM DOCTORS

05:35 PM READY STEADY COOK

06:25 PM THE WEAKEST LINK

The Weakest Link! Andy Pandy! Eastenders!

It's on the not much used "other" satellite BS/110 or something - you know, the one that most of us don't have. If they put it on normal SkyPerfect then it would get lots of viewers.