I just saw a news item on tv about some ducks in Ueno - someone apparently has stuck a 5cm pin-like thing into some ducks head. The duck doesn't seem to mind right now but I just cannot understand how anyone could possibly do something like that.

I'm sure if I saw them doing it I'd confront them and get really worked up and do something stupid. What do you reckon you'd do if you saw something like that happening.

Defo stop them. They should learn how far birds need to fly to come to and leave Japan. When I think of it, I don't think someone can do anything like that.

Distance birds need to fly to move (one way).

swallows - 3,000kms

ducks - 3,000kms

Arctic Tern

- 16,000kms

Arctic Terns move between north pole and south pole, so that they can get enough sunchine in summer to breed at both location.(June-July at north pole, January-February in south pole )

I don't think I can walk all the way that far.

I wonder why they just cant keep their eyes on them not doing that.

I feel it sad people are getting thinking of small creatures less and less .

Tempted to get a blowpipe myself now that the 'duck news' has gone into some detail about just how cool they are, and how available they are in Japan.

A suitable poison seems to be an essential element if you want to kill something with a dart though ... as the predicament of those poor ducks indicates.

O-11 - I think the Oz natives from Niseko would be more inclined to use a boomerang than blowpipe.

And in the event of a shortage of bent branches, probably resort to the next most useful and abundant thing at hand.

The famous "brown neck" also known as a spent beer bottle.

rach, there you go.

That looks like a bit of a big one to me.

healthy_net2002-img567x391-1126584616fuk

You can see the appeal.

Although if you're going to hunt, you should really kill and eat your prey.

z_shopx-img600x450-1122095139z_shopx-img

Do NOT inhale dart! No indeed.

Good reading about yadoya japanese traditional culture on this page.

Very durable,easy to judge the points. Pulls wire ring to four directions by gum rings,wire ring is floating over the sponge backstop.When dart hit the ring it woggles and dart dosen't rebound. (Like when it hits ducks head.)

This media attention is surely not in the best interests of ducks or other small, defenseless creatures.

Just as the news has stimulated interest in blowguns on this site, it has surely done so elsewhere. Even if the people who consequently buy blowguns do so for shooting at targets, sooner or later their eye is bound to wander to the noisy crow on the neighbour's roof. And as darts generally require curare or some other poison to kill, there are going to be more rather than less birds getting about with darts in them.

Also, in the grand sweep of worldwide misery (or even Japanese misery), a duck with a dart in its head is really scarcely worthy of comment, and certainly not worthy of nightly bulletins for a whole week (considering the suffering of the poultry that we might be forking into our mouths even as we watch the plight of the darted duck...)

remember that duck that got cross-bowed a few years back? Pierced its chest if I remember rightly, but the tough little bugger kept on waddling around with this big bastard of a bolt in its flesh! That one made similar news too.

> remember that duck that got cross-bowed a few years back?

Yes, I remember that. And a cat with a bolt through its head. I seem to remember both animals were rescued and given expensive operations.

People seem to forget that we regularly eat ducks and run over cats in our cars. A little bit of perspective is required...