• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taxi drivers, the world over irritate me no end.

Thailand: you want to buy gems?

Korea: you want to go night club?

Malaysia: I don't know the way, I'll drive around and ask passersby

Singapore: You can't get one unless you call up and pay a $5 surcharge

London: sucks air, oh that'll cost ya mate.

Eudaimonia

Defined:

1. The translation of "eudaimonia" should be compatible not only with Aristotle's theory but also (at first blush) with theories which identify eudaimonia with a life of pleasant amusements, a life devoted to the acquisition of wealth, a life devoted to the pursuit of honor, a life of public service in which one exercises civic virtues, and so on. The translation should make plausible the claims which Aristotle says everyone accepts about eudaimonia: that it is that for the sake of which a human being does everything that they do, that it is not pursued for the sake of some further goal, that the life of someone who is eudaimon is a pleasant life, etc.

2. "Eudaimonia" in Greek - Literally 'having a good guardian spirit', the Greek term "eudaimonia" has a much more objective meaning. To be eudaimon is to be successful, to have what is most desirable, to flourish. There is some disagreement about what sort of life is most flourishing. Some say it is a life of pleasure, others of honor, some a wealthy life, others a virtuous one.

irritating hey

• 2 weeks later...

SH.

Sorry about that I was having a deep and meaningfull converation with a client.

There is an old saying about a an old guy who smoked one cigar a day in a pub in England.

After lunch every day he walked up to the bar and asked for 1 hamlet and then asked for a light.

The new barmaid told him to buy some matches for 10p.

Unbeknownst to this barmaid this guy had bought lunch for 32 years at this pub. And having the bar staff light his cigar was his one indulgence.

He never went back.

The moral of this story is clients suck and we pre-judge most people, if some one walks into our shop / display / dealership. There is a chance they are about to line our pockets. If it wasn't for the pricks we would have nothing to talk about tommorrow.

That was a bit deep.

Seemore

I am with you on that!

Service can be sorely lacking in Perth!!

I have to admit to, on the odd occasion, having to receive an unexpected phone call while I have been out shopping (and usually on a time deadline) - I tend to continue to shop while I deal with the issue at hand. Whether that be groceries or clothes, or just searching for the perfect gift for my mother... I can still spend my money and talk at the same time. (Multi-tasker -> me)

I have upon occasion even been on the phone on an urgent call at the till - but I always ask my phone person to hold for sec - pull the phone down give the assistant the 'gee I am sorry cringe face' and say "My apologies for being so rude, unfortunately this call cant wait". They usually don't care, and are more than happy to not have to make silly conversation with me, their 173rd customer for the day.

What really annoys ME is when the 16yr old sales assistant in a store gets peeved when you ask her for assistance! I am sure the store owners would be horrified if they were aware of the way some of their staff behaved with the customers!!

I could never work with the general public, I'd be locked away for murder before the end of the first day.

To be honest MB, i like calling a spade a shovel and want to be dealt with quickly and efficiently, with a bit of humour and cynicism thrown in. but at the same time, I fully encourage the fact that a bit of pleasantry and courtesy costs me absolutely nil.

I dont however, want someone to be so nice to me (when they clearly dont mean it) that I have to force my fingers down my throat!

Agreed.

I get put off by the overly gushy assistants ---> the "darling you look absolutely fabulous in that dress....it was as if it was made just for you" touch, touch, invade my personal space. [defo fingers down the throat time]

But by the same token..."excuse me but I like this shirt - do you have the other colors in stock in this size?" [rolls eyes "Ma'am what you see is what you get" back to conversation with other lazy sales assistant] Time for slapping!

those old biddies and not so old biddies who thumble for their change after the total has been rung up. You get your purse out while the shopping is being handled, then you get your notes out at the ready with coins.

EXCUSE ME but I give 100% service I am one of the most popular and busiest stores in my field. My gripe is that those sort of people don't want to buy anything but I have to stand out in the store the whole time they are on the phone when there is a mountain of work that needs attending in the back room.

Don't care what they do when the staff are on that's what they get paid for is to stand at attention.

Yes Thursday I have an Adult Shop!!!!

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
EXCUSE ME but I give 100% service I am one of the most popular and busiest stores in my field. My gripe is that those sort of people don't want to buy anything but I have to stand out in the store the whole time they are on the phone when there is a mountain of work that needs attending in the back room.

Don't care what they do when the staff are on that's what they get paid for is to stand at attention.

Yes Thursday I have an Adult Shop!!!!

WTF that about wakaranai

But I'll play along.

veryshocked so you're making the vids out back personally?