• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn right, good one.

I think in feet up to 7 feet tall (a surfboard thing, I suppose). After that, feet mean nothing, miles means nothing, fahrenheit means absolutely nothing at all. Pounds also mean nothing.

I believe most scientists in America talk in metric and scorn the American measurment? Can anyone confirm this? I think the UK is moving away from it.

1 litre of water at sea level weighs 1kg and boils at 100 degrees centigrade and freezes at zero.

Metric wins.

Science uses the SI (metric) system, unless you have a specific reason for using other metric units. I've had papers accepted by US journals describing centimetre- or decimetre-scale structures because of their relevance. Using 10's or 100's of mm is painful to write, and to read. Inches would not be accepted.

In the US most engineering is mostly still done in Imperial units. The oil industry is a bstard for that. This leads to laughable outcomes, such as the loss of a NASA space probe about 5 years ago. NASA is metric, and the contractor (possibly Lockheed Martin) was Imperial. Because they were using different units, the burn times were hopelessly out, and the satellite ended up in the wrong part of the solar system. Oops.

Industry in the UK has been metric since the 1970's. The only survivors are miles and pints. I can live without the former, but I'm very attached to the latter.

I grew up in pre-metric pre-decimal currency UK, but I'm fully metricated.

Quote:
Originally posted by db le spud:

1 litre of water at sea level weighs 1kg and boils at 100 degrees centigrade and freezes at zero.

Metric wins.
Exactly. As a trademen I work with
Copper pipe( in inches )
PVC pipe ( in mm )
Air flows (feet/min ) and ( litres/sec) depending on the manuals.
Brass fittings (both inches and mm ) depending on the brand.
Temperature ( fahrenheit and celcius ) deending on the type of controls used
Water flows. We seemed to have escaped the imperial curse on that one.

The Australian government jumped straight onto the metric bandwagon in the 70's thinking the US and UK were sure to follow.
Thirty years on and we are stilll waiting.

the "official" system in the U.S. is metric but the defacto/working system is imperial.

the longer i live away from the states, the more i get used to using metric, the more frustrating it gets to convert back to imperial to tell friends back home i hiked 22 kms. or went rock climbing on a 8 meter wall. grr!!

yes the US should dump the imperial system but them the masses there may revolt

another irritation which is not trival is people's user's name that can easily be misinterpreted or interepreted in a racial way.

kkk where are you from and what does your handle name mean?

oh jeez h chr! that is a good one CB: the rat-carriers.

why?

Those people should be put on leads and made to wait outside in dog-pens, along with their rats.

ps. I like real dogs. The ones with dignity and dog-ness.

I also like rats - ratus domesticus anyway, which make great intelligent pets.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
yeah those things make me wanna drop-punt them for a goal!
coming from a bloke from Western Australia, sounds like you have possibly endulged in a bit of "Quokka soccer" on Rottnest Is. in your youth.
tisk tisk, you Neanderthal knuckle dragger.. wink1.gif laugh2.gif

lol.gif

no mate, I'm actually quite hippy when it comes to animals. I hate the idea of hurting one. I respect nature a bit too much to even entertain the idea. But those damn little dogs...

Don't get me wrong, I have no qualms eating them! (animals, not the dogs)

I was on the train last night and looked around me. There were 20 other people in the same carriage as me. 18 of them were engrossed in using their keitai.