• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by South African:
I've been reading these Forums for a while now but registered when I saw all this! We're not all bad guys, you know!

\:\)
You can't be South African. If you were you would have started your post "In South Africa..."

When I went to Bristol Zoo in the summer, there was a hugely oversized South African standing blocking everybody's view of the crocodiles holding forth to another White African about how much better the wildlife is in his country.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

Regardless of the venue or previous topics, most conversational gambits begin "In Israel/SA..." as if anybody gave a shit.
Damn, you hit it on the head. I am guilty of that as well and am also irritated when other do it. Without any hint of interest form others in the group, people from certain nationalities have a really bad habit of blurting "In Austraaalia, we have/do/eat.....". Australian's say it, and it sounds ignorant. South Africans say it and it sounds arrogant. I don't recall Americans, Canadians or Brits saying it.

I've never met anyone living in Israel and nor do I really want to (I avoid avidly religious people.)

Australia does have a very wide range of good locally produced fruit though. The reality is however that all the fruit picked makes it to the supermarket shelf, leaving the shopper to apply his skills in selecting the good tasting apples from the crappy ones. This is done my touch, sight and smell and is instinctive to many Australian's, Italian, Greeks. Many Brits don't know how to pick the good fruit from the shit. It comes from a lack of practice and a lack of labels telling them what it is and how to prepare and eat it ;\)

I have 100% honestly met a Brit in Chamonix who asked "what are those black things?" when confronted with a bad attempt at a Greek Salad. He had also never eaten a crepe before.

Sorry, did I go off topic.
 Quote:
Originally posted by South African:
I've been reading these Forums for a while now but registered when I saw all this! We're not all bad guys, you know!

\:\)
I know, sorry for generalising \:\) I have relatives who live there. (although we are not in contact)

Mantas - theres nothing wrong with Australian's, its just the Aussies who attract the so called bashing.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mantas:
Thank god youv'e come along South African.
Now the Aussie bashing can have a break for a little while.
You're about to become a trivial irritation yourself.

We were bashing one particular Australian and you jumped in as the unelected representative of all Australians. We've seen the same thing before with an annoying American who found anti-Americans everywhere. This kind of nationalist Forum-martyrdom gets on my nerves.

Originally posted by Le Spud:

Quote:
It is such a 'have not' word that appears perpetuated only in Australia (and perhaps England where class resentment is at an extreme: I wear suit and seriously get tradesmen in their vans speeding up at me when I cross the road. Obviously they don't want to hit me, but they want to make a point)
Yeeerrr... Love doing that, especially when I've just picked up me long neck from the Bottlo !

Not sure who's chips bigger Spud. Mine or Yours? ;\)

In 'straylya we drink long necks of VB mate, but only down in vicco mate. I drink Tooheys mate.

Our chips are likely equal, but given the worldly education you should have got from your extensive travels, I'd expect your chip to have been dealt with long ago. So relatively speaking, your chip is bigger than mine.

ps - in the extensive drinking areas of the German city that I live in you see loads of cute, fun loving, multilingual, educated and optimistic German girls on the side of the road having a laugh whilst all swigging from 500ml bottles of real pure beer that cost a dollar a pop. So you see, you don't have to be a struggling class-angered bogon to enjoy slugging on a couple of long necks after work as the sun goes down ;\)

Quote:
ps - in the extensive drinking areas of the German city that I live in you see loads of cute, fun loving, multilingual, educated and optimistic German girls on the side of the road having a laugh whilst all swigging from 500ml bottles of real pure beer that cost a dollar a pop
Sounds like heaven thumbsup.gif

Sorry, hijacking the thread again.

Funny story When i was in Munich slugging down stiens in 1989. I lost a bet with a kiwi guy i was travelling with. If he couldn't skull a full stien I would do a nudy run around the beer hall. Thought I was safe as houses given he already had about 6 stiens in his gut already. Man. Never under estimate the drinking prowess of a half moari Kiwi !

I got a standing ovation from the crowd so I did a second lap.

How Aussie is that ???

Back to the thread..

Trivial Iritations..

The word "peeps"

don't ask me why, but it just does!

I found some peeps here

Multiple things are called Peeps.

Look up Peep in

Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

* Peep is the name of The Rasmus' first album.

* PEEP - A slang term for World War II jeeps that are attached to armored regiments.

* Peeps are a candy produced by the Just Born company.

* Peep is a nickname for a North American bird called the Stint.

* Peeps is also slang for "people": yo, peeps.

* Peep can mean to look at something: Come take a peep at the new car.

* Slang for an "avalanche beacon."

* PEEP for Positive end-expiratory pressure a term used in medicine.

* Peep and the Big Wide World is a children's television show.

* Peep is the name of a letter in the Shavian alphabet.

* Peep is the name for visitor in the computer game RollerCoaster Tycoon