Interesting comment, soub.

I stopped using my iPod as the headphone disconnect from reality was too strong. I found myself living a virtual life in my mind and the pretend me felt and acted in a way that was consistent with the music I was listening to at the time. Escapism via strong imagination coupled with headphone music in an impersonal urban commuter physical reality can be a powerful thing! Eventually I got a grip, pulled out the plugs and started actually doing a bit of what I was comic book story-boarding in my head.

I doubt many people will understand this strange post.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the bells and whistles of Flash applications are generally self defeating. Entering a site to see that loading bar always makes me roll my eyes and think "This is irritating and wasting my time". Aptly named though, it's usually just someone trying be be a bit too flash. Ditto any site that has links which tell you that you need XYZ to keep going. Any web designer putting up these sort of brick walls is going against the flow , which Csikszentmihalyi speaks of.

My other trivial irritation for today is the way movies are given another name in Japan. Pronunciation considerations aside it's simply illogical. I hate those stupid green pieces of plastic that are put in every bento box too.

I like this guy, a surfer from Australia. But damned if I can read his emails. This is exactly how he talks in real life as well.

Quote:
hey db hows it hangin !any who surf has been average

here in anglt past month but i did get a road trip in

end off july in spain sik place !yeah me sarah an

bob thats my bro are headin to portugal to catch up

with some mates an do a hell surf trip leavin two days

but goin via spain to watch misfits an iggy an stooges

tear it up ooooowwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ok got to

roll got some dishes to scrub yeah im finally wirkin

only took 2months hahah catchya

I changed the names, just in case.
  • SnowJapan Moderator

Recently it seems that some spam/junk mail/scammers/idiots have inserted our domain name into crazy spam mail. Done at random (as we have received such a mail and also the exact same ones with other domain names written in there). That's annoying, because there is nothing we can do about it and also some people seem to actually think that we might be involved!

On that note, it's also more than a little annoying to get accusatory (and sometimes extremely rude and even threatening) emails sent to us from people thinking that we are actively involved in these kinds of things.

(Rather than a friendly "hey did you know about this" kind of mail that some people send to us - thanks!)

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes it is true that some people do seem way too quick to send us their rants. If they are valid, fair go. But I just don't know why people have to be so rude about things at times. It's not everyone of course! \:\)

But when you're in the middle of spending 5 whole months working really hard on improving the site for the benefit of readers, and spending way way more than you need to, and some seem to feel it's reasonable to fly one of those thoughtless rude mails over to you, it gets more than a little demoralising - if just for a few minutes.

I sometimes wish there was some way we could "block" certain people from using the site.

Rant over! \:D

• SnowJapan Admin

lol.gif

(You know on this scamming thing where our domain name randomly appeared in one of the mails - someone actually threatened us on that one.... legal action, doing everything they can to drag our name into the dirt and more. confused.gif Crazy it was!)

Yeh, that's a real hassle and pain. I get that myself - my address, or at least my domain is used for sending spams and at certain periods I will get several days (or weeks!) of bounced emails that I never sent, as well as that one ISP has blocked my domain from sending mails to one friend - and won't respond when I try and contact them. My parents' ISP blocks me intermittendly (when all the spams are going out, but once the rush is over they unblock me again - I guess that ISP realises the spams are sent from false return addresses that belong to real people...).

Sorry to hear your troubles... I guess the only advise I can give is to not take it personally. Not very good, but the best I can think of....

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Here's another reason not to support Apple; they really Think Different about being environmentally responsible.

Detailed data (pdf)
Rough data (html)
Never heard of this before, thank you for posting it. Without sounding like green is the new evangelism, it is somewhat fair to expect that producers of consumers goods should be held to a social contract of 'environmental low/no impact' as they pursue their profits. It worked quite well in the past (the easy substitution of CFC's). And a few computing companies have proven that they are capable of being an economic entity without producing too much poison. So apparently it can be done.

Too bad that 99% of consumers couldn't give a damn and without a scare campaign and international accord on chemical inputs to the process, not much will change.

I also reckon it would be pretty easy to fool the Greenpeace 'audit' of greennes, which is based on corporate internet info!

I own both a nasty Mac and a nasty Acer, but that sin is slightly offset by also owning a greenish Dell.
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's one.

Driving along a 4 lane road - 2 in each direction - and some dude driving at 30kmh decides he should be in the right hand lane. Nothing in front of him, lots of angry people / overtaking on the left people behind him.